Giving attention to an introvert child

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Alexandoy, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I have noticed my parents were fair in the attention that they give to their 6 children. But I admit that I am an introvert so I probably don't need much of their attention since I can do things my way especially when I reached high school age. But that was also the time that I realized I had been doing some things wrongly. In short, I needed more attention from my parents to give me guidance that I cannot get from somebody else.

2. Hova

Hova Active Member

Introverts need guidance too. I know expressing oneself doesn't come that easy to introverts like it does with extroverts. So knowing when an introvert needs help is next to impossible. The best approach is to always engage, and that way they will know you as parents are always there, no matter what.

3. Jason

Jason Member

No. You dont. If you are an introvert, like me. We derived strength from being alone, quite and doing things in our own way. Never ever think that it could have been any better.

Find ways of making those around you understand that you are an introvert and that they should learn to handle it that way.

4. doursay

doursay Member

I was introverted as a child and I remember needing only minimal interaction with my parents. You need some, but a good parent will recognize that introverted children don't need or want as much attention as other children. Parents that are too pushy or simply not there, both approaches because they are trying to connect in some way, will be remembered by the child.

As a parent, learn the boundaries the child sets and accommodate them the best you can. When a child is sick, that's a different story. But with normal day-to-day living, learn to read your child in terms of this.

Jason likes this.
  5. tyche

tyche Active Member

Parents should give equal attention to their children, introverted or not. A child must be properly guided so that he will grow up to be a nice person.

6. Jason

Jason Member

Very true. Well said. I totally agree with you here.

7. Hova

Hova Active Member

Also making sure that you don't give all the attention to an introverted child and forget about the rest is very important. Children will notice when you are being biased and that is very dangerous.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I agree that being biased to an introvert child is wrong. However, giving more guidance is not being biased at all. It's like a stable of horses that one horse is not good in running so you need to give it more attention to be in stride with the other horses. But again, I subscribe to the fairness for all the children.

9. Hova

Hova Active Member

I guess it makes sense. Making sure the introvert stays on the same pace as the others, is a great idea. Even if it means spending more time with the introvert.

10. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I'm an introvert and I'm the youngest son of 6 children of our dear parents. I was most well attended for I was the only left at home. My other 4 siblings have their family already and my elder whom I'm next to him didn't stay at home. He lived in the house of my mother's younger brother.

In my case, I have also 6 children and our youngest son is introvert. I never neglect him. I respect his behavior. I provide of his need and he doesn't want to be disturbed when he's working or studying. Right now he works as a computer programmer and he wants to be alone. When he's done he joins us, laughs and jokes with us.

11. Hova

Hova Active Member

So the trick is to treat an introvert as the rest.