Giving birth during the pandemic

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Emma kwamboka, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

I live in Africa. We have few cases compared to other countries. Nonetheless, we do have our own share of crisis and yesterday a newborn was tested and found positive to the fatal disease.

Do you think giving birth during this pandemic is a good idea? Should family planning be encouraged now more than ever?

2. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Just because of that incident about the newborn who is positive of the dreaded disease, controlling the married women of possibility giving birth isn't practical. There are parents who want to have a child of their own.

Staying away from the contamination of Covid is very subjective. It's everyone's duties and responsibilities to take care of themselves.

We know everyone wants to live. Therefore they should take measures to stay safe.

3. Hova

Hova Active Member

Since you can't tell who is infected and who is not, I vote for getting pregnant. People have been getting pregnant with all kinds of diseases floating around for centuries, why stop now?

4. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

This is a rather personal decision, and one that's kind of hard to weigh. Truth be told, we really don't know how much longer COVID-19 is going to be something that affects the world. We'd all like to think it's going to die down soon, but some people predict it will be around for years, or maybe even never go away.

From what we know, it's obviously something we all want to avoid, but the severity to babies and infants is unclear. We do know that they can get it from parents or other sick caregivers, and they can give it to other people as well. We also know that babies under the age of 1 are more likely than older children to experience severe symptoms, likely due to their weakened immune system.

The best thing we can do is practice good safety advice ourselves, and limit exposure to others as much as possible.

5. Hova

Hova Active Member

What about couples who have been trying for years, should they stop? Since we can't be sure when or if coronavirus will be completely eradicated, isn't it wise to go ahead with our lives but with extreme caution?

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I think there are clinics that are clean of the virus. What I mean is that the clinic doesn't have a patient with covid. In the hospital, it is more likely to have a covid patient. If the clinic is clean then there is no worry about getting infected with the covid because the virus only comes from the patient and from the carriers who have been in contact with the patient.

7. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

Hi. I know of an newborn that was tested positive. Such rare case and sad indeed.

8. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

One big factor to consider is the potential that there may be less access to healthcare resources, such as the regular prenatal care. Most hospitals and doctors begun to prohibit visitors other than the patient themselves including partners, family or support people. It is also important to consider that the need for social distancing and self-isolation may interfere with the ability of family and friends

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

@Emma kwamboka you are right with the healthcare resources. I have an idea where you are from so maybe we have a different culture and medical care state of condition. When the hospital has a covid patient, it is automatic to prohibit visitors so the patient would remain isolated. But the other patients who are not ill of covid are also affected.

Emma kwamboka likes this.
  10. Hova

Hova Active Member

A Covid-19 positive newborn is the saddest thing that can ever happen. I really hope that that case will have a positive outcome (pan not intended).

11. Hova

Hova Active Member

A Covid-19 positive newborn is the saddest thing that can ever happen. I really hope that that case will have a positive outcome (pan not intended).

12. tyche

tyche Active Member

I think that it really is a bad idea to give birth during this Covid-19 season. The virus can easily be transmitted to other people and even unborn infants. Not to mention that it's an added expense for them.

13. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

QUOTE="tyche, post: 12803, member: 55"]I think that it is a bad idea to give birth during this Covid-19 season. The virus can easily be transmitted to other people and even unborn infants. Not to mention that it's an added expense for them.[/QUOTE]
    This is so true. With this pandemic, even our jobs are at stake. Paying rent is a huge challenge. Another mouth to feed may be very challenging. Things have been hectic with this pandemic at hand. Paying rent has been challenging. I don't think I will be risking it

14. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Giving birth during pandemic is inevitable but trying to get pregnant during a pandemic can certainly wait If the necessary precautions are taken there is no reason why a delivery cannot be disease free.

15. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

I think its true that parents need to start family planning due to corona.
    But those already pregnant just need assistance medically to give birth to a healthy baby.

16. annahodges91njl

annahodges91njl New Member

You have to be very careful