Glass Or Plastic?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by AngelaMc, Feb 19, 2017.

1. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:)If you choose not to breast feed, then your probably asking yourself, should I use glass or plastic bottles? Believe it or not your baby may let you know which one they prefer better. There are certain things to consider, plastic bottles are lighter but may contain Bisphenol a chemical which is sometimes found in plastic and they don't seem to last as long as the glass bottle does. All baby bottles now are supposed to be BPA free.

When my Son was born I chose to use glass bottles, to me they seemed more sanitary to use at the time. Today there are so many bottle choices on the market. What's your favorite? Would you use glass or plastic?:)

2. kamai

kamai Active Member

I have always used plastic and I make sure they are BPA free. My daughter is now a toddler but she still drinks from a bottle and since she is all over the place I like plastic bottles, they are safer as they won't brake on her and have a horrible accident. As long as they a PBA free I think we won't have to worry about them getting sick.

AngelaMc likes this.
  3. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I have never heard of glass bottles let alone seen one. I wouldn't imagine them breaking and hurting the child since kids drop them all the time. Or are they unbreakable like Pyrex?

Either way I think plastic bottles are pretty good. You may want to keep changing them for hygiene purpose.

AngelaMc likes this.
  4. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

We have been thinking of coming out with our own line of bottles and we're definitely leaning towards plastic due to the fact that glass breaks easier. The main concern parents are worried about with plastic is dangerous chemicals which I completely understand. Fortunately, tests can be done to ensure these chemicals are not present in either the bottles are the materials that make them up.

It's unfortunate but I've found out working with factories that make some of the most popular baby products out there that not everybody tests their products for dangerous chemicals, even when they're supposed to. Especially the smaller companies. We always have our products laboratory tested before any are shipped here to be sold and have stopped working with all suppliers that show any trace of having or utilizing dangerous chemicals to make the products.

AngelaMc likes this.
  5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I agree that plastic bottles is not that good during the days of yore but now all I see are plastic everywhere. Take for instance the drinking water, they are in plastic bottles. And I have to agree that plastic bottles are more durable than glass bottle that can break when it falls on the floor. But I think the plastic bottle for the baby's milk would depend on the brand. There are brands of high quality so you just have to buy that and not the ordinary baby's bottle.

AngelaMc likes this.
  6. moondebi

moondebi Member

Though glass bottles are better from health aspect, but they're not feasible to use.
    I tried to explore but after one or two occasions gave up the idea to continue. Milk bottles need repeated wash and a brittle substance like glass might break in this process.
    To avoid the health hazard of plastic, I used to change the bottles in every couple of months.

AngelaMc likes this.
  7. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

We have six children to raise. And now they have already grown up and some have their own family. Their mother breastfed them while they're still infant and when they reached the age enough for them to bottle feed them to free their mother from babysitting and to have more time for her to work. We use the bottle to feed them for their time there is no plastic container for their milk. In our grandchildren, we use the plastic bottle as you call it. It is less dangerous to be accidentally broken or thrown by our grandkids.

AngelaMc likes this.
  8. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

Hello @Decentlady, yes some are unbreakable, they came out with one called the Revolutionary Hybrid Glass Baby Bottle. It's an interchangeable glass insert system, with a removable glass insert, and a pvc free plastic sleeve to prevent shattering. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.
    http://www.5phases.com/

9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I'm not aware of glass bottles as well. Me and my siblings used plastic bottles when we were little and they seemed to last. I remember my mother used to boil them (the bottles) to disinfect them. I've never seen glass bottles in the grocery as well. Probably the reason is because plastic bottles are safer to use since it doesn't break easily unlike glasses so it's safer for babies and toddlers to use, plus they aren't that heavy.

AngelaMc likes this.
  10. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I haven't seen one of these glass bottles yet. But I do think that they are good, but not the best if you ask me. I think it's better to use plastic bottles since babies usually drop things, and glass bottles would be heavier than plastic ones. the only problem you would have for plastic bottles is if they contain harmful chemicals. So I go with plastic bottles but I would definitely check them out if they are safe to use.

AngelaMc likes this.
  11. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I cannot really imagine having anything glass that would go over well, at least not in my home when our kids were young. We were always breaking things and dropping everything, so I would have to stick with the plastic.

AngelaMc likes this.
  12. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

We used glass bottles because I don't want to have him exposed to plastic materials at an early stage. But we have to be extra careful while using glass materials as it is very fragile.As already shared above BPA (bisphenol A) is a dangerous ingredient which is used to make hard plastic. It is also being used in many food containers, aluminium sealing and it is even found in dental fillings too. This is considered to be one of the main reasons for the rising cases of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) among kids.

Doctors usually do not recommend milk bottles nowadays as there is a high chance of germ accumulations in bottles. At any cost we should reduce our baby's exposure to plastic materials.

AngelaMc likes this.
  13. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

As one poster noted, glass would seem dangerous around kids. However, plastic contains weird ingredients that could also harm the child. Which is the biggest threat? I suppose the best solution is to simply make better plastic.

AngelaMc likes this.
  14. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

Temperature and time can crack glass, therefore, causing it to break even if it doesn't fall so plastic is always a good choice. Plastic bottles aren't so expensive so if you're afraid of germs, you can purchase a new bottle every 2 weeks. Toddlers and babies can also chew and chip the glass bottle. The best thing is to do research on good and safe plastic bottles and purchase those.

AngelaMc likes this.
  15. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

Use plastic cups or bottles since babies are careful they can easily break glasses.I use plastic on my child and I never have to stress about glasses breaking and hurting the baby or anyone at home.You can try using plastics its really safe and you won't have to worry.

16. tyche

tyche Active Member

I would definitely also use plastic bottles instead of glass if I had a baby, for the simple and obvious reason that plastic isn't as fragile as glass and it can be dropped without breaking.

17. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

I never ever fed my son with a bottle, if at all I could not breast feed for some reason, I chose a really tiny spoon and bowl but never a bottle. But if I absolutely had no other choice but to bottle feed then I would have chosen glass and not plastic.