Government child birth policy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Decentlady, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

In the view of China having one child policy for many years for population control reasons which worked well, do you think Government should impose such rules for their citizens?

Is it fair to let the government decide how many children should individuals have? Or should it be a personal decision?

I rather let it be a personal reason.

2. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Absolutely not. I understand there were problems but I think there are far better ways to solve them than taking away personal freedoms.

That's of course just my opinion. I agree it should be a personal decision (it's one of the most personal decisions you can make!) and I would leave any country that tried imposing these types of rules on its citizens.

3. remnant

remnant Member

Though it should be a personal decision, we should not lose right of the fact that freedom comes with responsibility. Paradoxically, the poor are the most affected by the burden of raising more kids than view can handle. This is a common occurrence in Third World nations and results in congestion and stretched resources. Incentives should be given to those who are willing to control the size of their families.

4. James McAllister

Right, but as you mentioned incentives would be much better than laws or punishments. Blanketing everyone over one rule when people come from so many different situations and background just couldn't work without seriously upsetting a lot of people.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I also agree that the number of kids in a family should only depend between the couple and no one else. It's a family matter and it should be private and personal. However, we can't also blame their government as to why they do this. Probably they are still thinking ways on how to keep their birth rate minimal since their country is over populated. That can be one of the main factors why they implemented the rule in the first place.

6. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

If you see around poor families usually have more kids than the rich ones. This will only make them poorer as they are not left with enough resources for the well being of all family members. This also leads to poor educational facilities which hinders their future growth. I personally believe that there should be some control on this and should not be left only with the parents to decide.

Our natural resources like water, land and other elements are getting exhausted very fast. I think most of the natural calamities has its root in over population. We are cutting down trees, destroying natural habitats of other living beings and exploiting other natural resources to accommodate the rising population. This could be managed to a great extent by controlling population.The future of our planer is in our own hands.

There should be more effective awareness programs to make it happen.

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

In my opinion how many child a couple should have must be the decision of the couple, and government or any entity should not dictate on this regard. A free citizen should have rights to decide the size of his/her family. However, government can encourage people to have less child (in over populated countries) or more child (in less populated countries).

8. Mika

Mika Active Member

I agree with you but if you know the reason OP suggested this is the rate of birth in her country. The rate of birth is going at such a rapid speed that there would be no place to stand for common people if the government does not take a proper step at this very point. I should not mention it here but one particular section is doing it intentionally to outnumber the other section which is main cause of concern.

9. moondebi

moondebi Member

Giving birth to a child is certainly a couple's personal decision, but when a decision impacts a society in every possible way does that remain personal anymore?
    Every individual is nation's responsibility. Thus today what is a couple's decision, tomorrow that would be a thrust on every taxpayer. However, if people are sensible enough to make right decisions, there's no need of intervention. Unfortunately, that is not the case everywhere, especially in the third world countries.

10. James McAllister

I certainly understand the problems that exist and the strain overpopulation puts on everybody but I feel there are far better ways to handle it than taking away one of the most primal and basic liberties that I feel we're entitled to. And it's not just that right I think should be defended, it's many others as well.

You just can't put a blanket law over everyone because everyone's situation is different.

I have dreamed my entire life of having both a son and a daughter, so that's at minimum 2 children. There is very little in the world I want more than that. It is my dream. I understand other people's situations are different, but I am perfectly capable of providing for two children, or more if I end up having more. So why should I be penalized?

Discourage it, penalize it, educate against it, even imposing requirements or income / capability thresholds (which I'm still against) wouldn't be as bad as blatently banning it. I'd leave the country and join Elon Musk's mission to move people to Mars if I had to.

11. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Imposing a limit to having a children to one or two is a personal preference. For a prolific couple, they could have it to 6, 8, 9, or even more and it is very true in our place. Though our government has a limit for tax exemption the number of children whom the father and the mother are entitled to claim. But it doesn't deter them for not having a large family.

Personally, when I got married at the age of 21, I was still stuying in college. I didn't have any job to support my family. I was too dependent from my father's meager income. We were only three in the family and my wife came later. When I completed my course in college, I right away landed a job at the bank. Now it's my turn to support my parents, my wife until I got children.

I strong disagree for a government to control the number of children per family. What the people need is education on family and I know if they know the danger of having a large family, they will have a second thought.

12. Mika

Mika Active Member

@James McAllister I understand what you feel but it is applicable for people that understand the situation and act according to need of the hour. In our case males of a particular community marrying 4 women and having 12-20 children just to increase their popularity is a matter of concern. They understand no reason and they think that stopping them from this is against their religion freedom. Even any amount of education in this matter brings almost no result. I am father of one daughter and wanted to have another child, but we decided against it.