Hand-me-downs for the newborn

Discussion in 'Babies' started by iamawriter, Jun 4, 2020.

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

hand-me-downs-are-a-new-moms-blessing-and-curse-1280x960-768x432-1558030093.jpg

Many consider it a privilege to get hand-me-downs for their newborn from their close family. My niece was happy when that happened to her.
    While it can be considered a privilege used clothes do not seem the right thing for a newborn. The first time mother would surely want everything new for her first baby. At the same time refusing the offer may hurt the one who has offered those clothes.
    What is your opinion on this?

Image credit: https://www.todaysparent.com/family/style/hand-me-downs-are-a-new-moms-blessing-and-curse/

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

I have no qualms about being given used clothes. It is always done in good faith and will make you save money in the long run. I was also the recipient of used school uniforms and also school books when I was younger.

3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Turning over used clothes especially of new-born babies by a mother to her daughter or an elder sibling to a younger has no issue whatsoever .

It's also the same with immediate family members or closed relatives unlike friends and neighbors may be in question.

But the practice of hand-me-downs for a newborn is more beneficial than a curse. It's economical and cost-savings.

4. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Good to know you have no qualms about hand-me-downs for the newborn. There are many like you. But I know of those who have become a mother for the first time prefer everything new.

5. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

If everyone opted for this method I wonder what will happen to those new clothes that are awaiting customers at stores. Having said that I know there are many who want brand new things for their brand new baby. :rolleyes:

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

It is in our culture to offer the old clothes of the baby to a new baby. Nothing wrong with that because our family is in the lower middle class. That hand-me-down clothes would spare the family of expenses. But for the middle class and the wealthy, I don't think the used baby clothes would be appreciated. So before offering the used baby clothes, be discerning if the family of the baby is well off financially.

7. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Not having money and therefore going for that alternative is perfectly understood but any new mother would want everything brand new for their brand new baby and that is what I think.

8. Hova

Hova Active Member

The best things in life are free. Also, don't let your pride get in the way of getting those Jordans (sixers to be specific).

9. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

With your kind of users I pity the manufacturers who will be sent to limbo with their products with no buyers:) Jokes apart economy will be at stake with this kind of thinking.

10. Hova

Hova Active Member

Hand-me-downs have existed since the wheels been turning. The economy will be OK!

11. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Buying new clothes also existed since the 'wheels been turning' .I still insist people should spend for the economy to sustain.

12. Hova

Hova Active Member

The thing is, we are speaking about hand-me-downs, not big corporations and capitalism.

13. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Based on what we know from our customers, parents are far more likely to purchase new (or receive brand new gifts) from parents for their first child, and become increasingly accepting of hand-me-downs as their number of children increases.

Actually, we specifically encourage this behavior with our own clothing, and use materials durable enough and of high enough quality to be passed down to multiple children assuming they've been properly cared for! :emoji_slight_smile:

14. Hova

Hova Active Member

That makes a lot of sense @James because that is the tradition that is being practiced by parents I've seen raising their kids.

15. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Coming from close family and friends, I have no qualms using hand-me-downs. When my son was born, I did use clothes which previously belonged to my sister's kids. In fact, we Indians believe in using only old handed-down clothes for newborns as they are well-worn and soft and snuggly as compared to new clothes which could prove to be harsher and itchy. We just make sure to wash the clothes well with soap, rinse out in Dettol and dry them well in sunlight before using.

16. Hova

Hova Active Member

That is exactly the way things go down in Afrika as well @nangk08.

nangk08 likes this.
  17. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

That is really great> I think it is quite surprising that so many ancient traditions and customs have so many similarities in communities around the world.