Hernia

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Gad, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Gad

Gad New Member

When my baby sister was about 6 months old, her belly button started to swell. We all started to panic. We thought that it was a deadly disease and feared for the worse. Luckily, one of my aunts is a nurse and after contacting her, she shed light on the condition.
    An umbilical hernia, as it is medically referred to, is a condition that arises when fat or fluid pushes through a baby's stomach muscles hence causing the swelling. I normally hear that surgery is the recommended method to correct this condition. However, in our case, we were advised to stick a 5 shilling coin which is rather large on the bulging with a strapping. We exactly did that and after a few weeks, the hernia was no more. sometimes this condition occurs in adults but mostly it is associated with toddlers. Have you ever experienced this?

2. premium9

premium9 New Member

I believe this is fairly common in infants, though I am not a health care provider. I do think it's really interesting that the 5 shilling coin helped to resolve the issue!

Hernias don't need to be surgically repaired every time in children. I know of a few kids for whom it resolved on its own as they grew older. I'm always impressed by how adaptable and resilient children are when it comes to medicine. If only us grown-ups could borrow some of the same traits!

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Oh, this is a sad thread but I know we have to deal with disabilities given to us by God. From what I understand with hernia, it is treatable in the early stage, I just don't know if it can be operated at that early stage. This reminds me of my niece who was diagnosed to have a heart ailment at 2 years of age. It was really like a bomb that exploded on us. That lovable little girl spent 4 years with us before succumbing to an open-heart surgery.