Homeschooling

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by doursay, Mar 23, 2020.

1. doursay

doursay New Member

In light of current events, some parents are being forced in a way to learn how to keep the schooling going for their kids. If you typically do not do any kind of schooling for your kids, how are you adjusting for the lack of education your children are getting right now? Are you going online to find resources like virtual tours of state parks? Or interactive activities on nature, science or mathematics websites?

What I have learned in the past few weeks is that we have to think outside the box to more easily find educational and learning tools for the kids that may not be closely tied to how public school systems do things. Remember that there are more ways to teach children a subject than how the public or private school systems do it. They don't have a corner on this market.

Jason likes this.
  2. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I have been teaching in elementary public school for 7 years and in cases when our pupils couldn't go to school due valid reasons like sickness, distance, and other causes beyond the children's parents control, we have measures to adapt for our pupils not to miss their classes.

These measures or approaches are as follows: modular teaching thru manuals and worksheets, school on the air or distant study via radio or TV. In short these are some techniques adapted in home schooling.

3. Hova

Hova Member

I've seen some governments put up similar services in place for free, or at least they are trying to. There will be classes airing both on tv and radio courtesy of the Ministry of Education and the media houses. We used to think homeschooling is for the rich but now everyone is doing it. It has to work, otherwise, kids will miss out on a lot.

4. doursay

doursay New Member

I have a family member in a senior citizen facility and they have their own channel on television advertising things like activities, menus for the week, etc.... I never made that connection. Considering how not every household in America has internet service, that makes a lot of sense.

I guess it's not so out-of-the-box after all.

5. Jason

Jason Member

Thats true @doursay
    The Coronavirus outbreak has made us realize that we had not planned well for such an eventuality. I tend to look at it as a bio hazard. Meaning, if treated as a disaster, it should have well been prepared for jn advance and mitigation measures put in place in all economic sectors.

Education is a key sector in our economy and it seems to have been hit hard. The relevant agencies responsible for managing the sectors seem to be confused and not sure of the steps to take to mitigate Covid-19.

It is sure time to think outside the box and enhance online learning techniques.

James McAllister likes this.
  6. doursay

doursay New Member

It's funny you should use that terminology. Ben Bernake came out yesterday and said this is more akin to a natural disaster than a depression. Now FEMA is getting involved.

All this tells me the worst is yet to come. They know things we don't, but we can gauge the severity off their responses. We haven't reached our peak in numbers yet. If there's any good news in all of this, it's the fact that some cities will be hit harder than others. New York CIty for example is getting it hard. Phoenix Az. and Los Angeles on the other hand are not. Think about this: cities like New York have built UP. Meaning the buildings are higher and people are cramped into each other. Cities like the Phoenix metro area have built OUT. It is sprawled out to where there isn't that cramped, claustrophobic feeling. People are not as physically close to each other so the spread of COVID isn't that bad.

These federal agencies, I'm sure, will keep this in mind.

7. tyche

tyche Active Member

Homeschooling is advisable if you have time to teach your kid, but if not then you should just enroll him in a regular school where he will mingle with other students.

8. Hova

Hova Member

I really thought that the UN would have put up plans in place to handle such kinds of calamities. They always have a plan for everything so it is pretty hard to believe that they didn't know this was going to happen.

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

Schools here were closed a few days before the lockdown on March 15. It would be mass promotion now since it is already the time for summer vacation. Homeschooling is a good idea although what I prefer is the semi-home schooling. It is like learning from online lessons for 4 days and the last day of the week is for the physical attendance in the classroom. We cannot take away the social aspect of schooling because that is an essential part of student life.

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Member

That's very true. But the tricky bit is how to organize the physical classes. It will be expensive to the parents. For instance the school bus will be forced to carry half the capacity. Hence more trips. The classes will have to be split further so as to allow 1m social distance.

For kids, it gets even complicated! What games will they play that allow for 1m distance from each other at all times? Leave alone cost of continous sanitation equipments. And constantly reminding them to Sanitize.

I just suggest the government employs more teachers and allow formation of smaller learning units around their residential areas.