How long should a working mum stay at home after giving birth?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kokimboka, Dec 3, 2016.

1. kokimboka

kokimboka New Member

According to my experience, until a child goes to school.It is a challenge for a mother to leave a 3 month old baby with a nunny as required in some organisations.I believe a mother should be given time to bond with her baby until the child is off diapers,can talk and is independent to some extent.What's your take concerning this issue?

2. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I have seen a lot of variance in this topic, both from people and from companies who offer their employees different options. IT is interesting though, and I am sure it varies based on the person, to a degree at least. I would say a month sounds about right, but again I really have no idea being a male. When we had our little boy I know my wife was back to work pretty quick, but that was more out of need than anything else.

3. kamai

kamai Active Member

When I gave birth I was given just one month to stay out of work and stay with my baby girl, leaving her was the toughest thing I have ever done. I missed her so much and obviously she needed me so I quit working and now I am a stay at home mother, I feel it should be this way until she goes to school, so she won't feel abandoned by me.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

In the Philippines, there is a law that mandates employers to grant one month of maternity leave for a working mother who gave birth. And for a caesarian birth, it is 45 days. But there is a motion in Congress to add 15 more days to give the mother time to be with her baby.

5. Binu

Binu Member

If you have shaky economic position you cannot stay home for a long time after giving birth. However, if you are economically sound you can remain in your home until your child begins to go to the nursery or kindergarten. Interestingly, if you have retired female relatives (mother or mother-in-law, for example), you can hire them to look for your child and you can start working again.

6. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

If there are grandparents who are willing to look over the child then it's a great relief to leave the child for few hours unattended.

However, the best is the mother to be home always. Sometimes this is not feasible of course.

I donot belive in leaving a child with nanny alone without supervision of a trusted family member.
    I

7. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

Where I live, they give the mother a month paid leave to take care of the child and I think that's good. In my opinion, though, a child should be with their mother almost full time. A child needs this a lot and breast milk is a lot healthier than powdered milk. The bond between a child and mother should not be separated so soon. A child must first understand why the mother is leaving and in one month, I don't think the child knows.

8. Binu

Binu Member

I want to add one more point here. How long should a mother stay at home after giving birth should be entirely the decision of the mother as she is only able to assess her health and financial condition. When a mother begins to work just in few weeks, it must be her compulsion. As for me, I would stay in home for at least 12 weeks after giving birth.

9. tony

tony Active Member

In my view a working mum should stay at home at least three months after delivery. The baby needs 100% care and attention at these early stage of life and the best person to give this care is simply the mother. In some cases I'll even advocate for a longer time at home, for example if it was preterm birth or one that required cesarean section such mothers should be considered for up to six months.

10. Miches

Miches Active Member

The laws in my country gives working mothers 60 days of paid leave for normal delivery/miscarriage and 78 days of paid leave for those who have undergone c-section. An employee can also use paid company leave allowances afterwards. It think this is just fair for the mother and the company. Mothers generally would not want to part with their babies but the family's finances will often compel a woman to leave her child to nannies or relatives. In my case, I had to quit my old . job in order to give more time to my baby. I wasn't ready to leave him at three months so I stopped working full time for two years. Our small business sustained us through those lean years.

11. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I think a working mom must stay at home and nurse her baby for at least three months. A working mother may be fit to work just in a month, however, the baby needs mother's milk and care for at least three months. When mother begins to go to work the baby will miss mother's milk in the day time and he/she has to be depended on baby formula.

12. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

In my country, the mothers are given 2 month maternity leave after giving birth. I agree with @kokimboka that it's really a challenge to leave the 2 or 3 month old baby to anyone, even the grandparents. Babies need very much bonding time with the mothers, and I would suggest to have at least 2 years for the moms to stay at home with the babies, though I think this is not feasible for many companies. I have read that in some countries, German is one of them if I am not mistaken, moms will get 1 year paid leave and then another year of unpaid leave, which I think is quite good.

Though it is not possible for all families, I think it'd be better for the moms to take care of the babies on her own, instead of getting nannies or other people doing so.

13. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I think that this really depends on the career track of the person, and even if that matters. You have to weigh whether the time is that important, and I know that my wife struggled a lot with this, but she make it back quick because it was important.

14. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Generally a working mother who has delivered a child can report to her work after 30 days in a regular mode of giving birth to a child. However, she may avail of her lawful leave credits if she so desires.

But if the mother is not a working mum, she may take care of her newly born child until she wants to. And of course, that is too practical.

15. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

Here that is covered by law. Maternity leave is 26 weeks, starting at the earliest 11 weeks before birth. There's also an additional 26 weeks that it can be extended by if needed (medical issues, multiple birth, etc). While they don't have to take all of it, a working mother must take 2 weeks off after the baby is born or 4 if they work in heavy manual labour or a factory.

That time is now considered shared parental leave, so if the mother takes less the father can use some of it to stay with the baby, or be at home to help after the birth. It's just as well, since most of the women I know were climbing the walls to get back to work after 52 weeks stuck at home!