How safe is Paracetamol for pregnant woman?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Vinaya, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Paracetamol is a mild drug that is used as pain killer or to treat fever. How does this drug react to the pregnant woman's body? Is it safe to take Paracetamol in pregnancy?

2. kamai

kamai Active Member

I was actually prescribed this by my doctor a few times to treat pain. I tried to take them once thinking it was safe to do so since it was giving by my doctor. As soon as a swallowed it I threw it back up, my body didn't receive it at all. I opted to not take them ever again as there was probably a reason why my body didn't want it. I thought that this meant my baby would be affected so I stayed free from medications throughout my entire pregnancy.

3. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

As already mentioned by OP, paracetamol is considered to be a safe medicine which has only mild effects on our body. But I would say it is safe not to take any medicines during pregnancy if possible. Even if you wanted to take medicine like paracetamol it is better take advice from a doctor and go ahead. Special care needs to be given on the fact that you take it only after the required intervals. If you take it before the recommended time gap it will adversely affect your liver. It may become more complicated in the case of a pregnant woman.

Paracetamol is a pain killer and it doesn't treat fever but only kills its symptoms. During pregnancy if you are having high temperature that needs to be addressed immediately. Then it is better to go under medication but only after consulting a doctor.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016