How To Use The Gallery

Discussion in 'Announcements / Meta' started by James McAllister, Nov 8, 2017.

1. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Hello Starlight Baby Community!

In this post I'd like to announce the opening of the Gallery section, and talk a bit more about it's purpose and how to use it.

The gallery lets you upload and store pictures and videos, either publicly (in your own albums, or by adding to group albums) or privately, so they can only be viewed by you.

You can access it by clicking here, and start uploading media as soon as you'd like. You can also access it by clicking the 'Gallery' button at the top of any page. If you're on mobile, you may need to click the menu button (the button with 3 horizontal lines) for the link to pop up.

Anyway, here's a few reasons you my want to utilize this new feature:

• Store photos and videos in a safe and secure manner. As of right now, there are no data limits on how much you can upload.
    • Make videos public, private, or share them only with specific people. I will explain privacy settings in a more detailed manner in a moment.
    • Embed videos from other sites (such as YouTube) for better organization, or simply save favorite videos from other sites to view all in one place.
    • Uploading to the gallery makes it easier to embed media into our upcoming blog / journaling feature.
    Note: The gallery is fully compatible with PC, mobile, and tablet devices.

How To Use The Gallery

To start, visit the gallery by clicking here, or clicking the 'Gallery' link at the top of the page.

gallery0.PNG

From here, you'll be greeted with all of the public albums, as well as any albums of your own that you have permission to view (because you created them, or someone made them viewable to you.)

gallery01.PNG

To begin uploading, click the 'Add New Photos' or 'Add New Videos' button in the top right. From there, you can choose to add pictures to an existing album, or create a new one. For the sake of this example, we're going to create a new one.

gallery fixed.PNG

This section is pretty straightforward.

Title: What you want the album to be called.
    Description: A brief description of what's in the album.
    Location: Geotag the album if it makes sense to do so - for example, if you're uploading an event such as a birthday party and you want to mark the location of it for future reference, you're able to do so here. Note however that this feature is a bit buggy and does not always work (but we're looking for a fix as soon as possible!)
    Tags: Add tags for easier searching. Some example tags may include "first birthday", "baby shower" or "nurseries", but feel free to use any you wish.
    Tag People: If you want to tag other users in your photos, you're able to do that here. Note that they will receive a forum notification when they are tagged.

Easy enough!

gallery4.PNG

Once you upload your photos, they will appear in a beautiful looking page like this one. As you can see in the bottom right, you can still edit details after your pictures have been published - both on the album level, and on the individual picture level.

gallery5.PNG

Click on a picture to view it! From here you can download it, make small edits (such as rotating it) add comments, notes, or share it.

The gallery is not extremely complex, but it does its job well.

We hope you like it! If you have any questions, comments or concerns please let me know below or through a private message and I'll be happy to help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Miches likes this.
  2. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Reserved post, in case I need to add extra information here.