Importance of vaccine for babies

Discussion in 'Babies' started by naruto100, Nov 3, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Hello guys,

Just completed another vaccine for my baby today. I am glad that she didn't cried more compare to past. And happy to hear from doctor that this time she will not get any fever because of vaccine.

I have heard from another person that he is not continuing vaccine for his kid after certain years. As per him we don't need to give all of them suggested by doctor. After certain age of kid (may be his kid is 4 year old now) we can avoid it.

I wonder if it is true or not. I mean this is the thing where I will surely not take any risk. What you think about this?

Heatman likes this.
  2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

This is quite an emotive subject but I believe 100% in vaccination unless there is a good medical reason not to have it. I was advised when my son was young not to have the whooping cough vaccination as there was epilepsy in the family and at the time (1981) it was thought there was a connection between the vaccination and brain damage if there was a history of epilepsy. I did as the doctors advised but it was quite stressful every time he got a cough wondering whether he had been infected with whooping cough. He actually never got it.

By the time my daughter came along in 1986 it was thought it was safe to vaccinate all children regardless and I was so pleased as I didn't have to worry every time a child coughed on her.

My children had everything it was possible to have as I firmly believe that vaccination is the only way to wipe out serious diseases. It's been the same for my granddaughter and they have all enjoyed good health with no side effects from having their vaccinations.

3. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

It is frustrating that this is still one of those things that we hear so much about, in both directions too. I am pretty sure that I trust the medical professionals more here but all those doubts just keep hanging around.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I have a niece who is a pediatrician. She said that vaccines are very important to prevent the common diseases that are fatal to the baby like diphtheria which is an infection caused by a type of bacteria. But I think the vaccines now include pneumonia and some other types like a 6-in-1 vaccine. Over here, government health centers administer vaccination to the public, free of charge.

5. Mika

Mika Active Member

Actually vaccination is not important but mandatory if you wish to keep your child safe from various diseases. There are certain doses and booster doses which increase resistance against those common diseases which are present almost everywhere in the world and you have to safeguard your child against them. If some one is negligent about these vaccines means they do not love their children.

6. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Thanks guys. Yes it is good to keep our child safe from fatal diseases. That's why I said I never can ignore them. I wonder how few people avoiding this thing. They should be careful on this as later on it can create problem. So no need to take risk, personally I will never take it.

7. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

First, I'm quite happy for you and your baby for having completed her vaccination. There is no point arguing the importance of vaccine for new born babies because they normally have weak immune system that can't successfully combat sickness and diseases on its own but with the vaccination, they tend to have a strong body immune system that is capable, effective and efficient in fighting against disease that plague babies. For example, measles, cough, fever, etc.

Vaccine are a must for babies in my opinion, because it's absolutely of good advantage and helpful towards the well being of any child.

naruto100 likes this.
  8. harijobs

harijobs Member

M opinion would be not to stop any vaccines for your baby as we live in a world where new types of diseases keep evolving and I advise you to go as per your paediatrician suggests. Here now our government is creating awareness among the people as many people fail to vaccinate their children at the right time leading them to suffer at later stages. So go as per your paediatrician's suggestions and not by others words.

naruto100 likes this.
  9. tyche

tyche Active Member

I also had some vaccines when I was a baby, but they were only done once and they were repeated again. I guess one vaccine is enough for a child to be immune to diseases for the rest of his life.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  10. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

I agree with you. Now in this time new and new diseases are coming in front and they are quite dangerous too. So better to be prepare for all of them. We surely can't avoid all of them, but at least for precaution we can have all these vaccine for our kids. I don't think anyone need to take any risk which is related to their kids. So yes it is important and we should not avoid it in any cost.

11. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

To give an example of how important vaccination is, I was born in 1950 but I saw children who suffered from polio when I was young because there was no vaccination until 1954/55. A girl who lived close to me was crippled and had to walk on calipers due to contracting the disease. I was extremely lucky that I didn't get it. Nowadays polio is rarely heard of so has been more or less eradicated. The same with smallpox. This disease killed many people but the vaccination came out in 1956 and has been completely eradicated. I consider I was lucky to be born around the time when these vaccinations arrived in the UK.

Risa and naruto100 like this.
  12. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Well, its really hard to live with those diseases. Only they can know it how much painful it is. It can happen with anyone, but better we do all the precautions like vaccine so that we can be on safer side. So yes it is really important thing. I wonder how one can ignore it for their kids. Personally I can never ignore such important thing, and I will complete them all. Thanks for sharing your thought on it.

Elsa and littlewitch66 like this.
  13. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I had all my babies vaccinated to protect them from serious illnesses. However, as you've said, "all those doubts just keep hanging around" and we cannot blame other parents to become paranoid and not want to have anything to do with vaccines because there were documented cases of deaths due to vaccines.

I really got curious about the statistics of advantages and disadvantages, however, I didn't find any exact percentage from those that I've read. What is apparent though is that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Still, as I've said, we cannot blame others if they're afraid of vaccines because there are proven cases of deaths. More so if the kids who died are known to the parents - a neighbor or their child's friend. They would really think a thousand times before getting their baby vaccinated.

I think it's important that the vaccines are tested first on a baby's skin before being injected to check if a baby has an allergy from one of its components. It's been reported that some of the deaths were actually allergic reactions from a vaccine.

14. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Is it? I never heard about something like this that babies have died because of vaccine!!! I have to search about this thing. What can be the reason behind it and is it surely because of vaccine?! This is surely strange thing which I have never heard before.

15. Elsa

Risa and naruto100 like this.
  16. Elsa

Vaccines are indeed lifesavers. I would say most of the world's population these days are alive because of the introduction of vaccines. Its benefits are very much real, except for some who unfortunately suffered from adverse reactions, even deaths.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  17. Elsa

I agree with what you said about evolving diseases, which is a real cause for alarm. Take flu for example - flu was just plain flu years ago (fever accompanied by coughs and colds), but now we have H1N1 which is a deadly flu virus.

This is probably why our GP said a flu vaccine does not guarantee one is already immune because it could only protect us from certain flu virus strains. However, my daughter's pedia advised that we should have her injected because she is very prone to coughs and colds due to her asthma.

18. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Elsa likes this.
  19. Elsa

You're welcome.

I suppose we could consider it rare because it's just over a hundred as compared to the billions who have benefitted from vaccines. Some countries may not even have statistics about it. Or some may purposely withold the info because it could create an unnecessary scare.

naruto100 and littlewitch66 like this.
  20. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Vaccines are unquestionably important. Many of the debilitating diseases are almost eradicated at present because of vaccines, like as what @littlewitch66 cited, polio. Without vaccines, we and our children could've suffered from diseases that may have put our lives at risk.

It's also true about the rare cases of untoward reactions shared by @Elsa. And I agree these are isolated cases which were outweighed by the billions of vaccine beneficiaries around the world.

The issue with regards to the continuity in receiving vaccines is also real, as some parents may have several beliefs regarding this one. What @harijobs stated was right. One of the reasons why booster shots are given is to update our immune system with the evolving strains of bacteria and viruses. Another thing, vaccines differ in the recommended doses to ensure that our child is already immune. For example, DTaP (for diptheria, tetanus and pertussis) needs 3 shots while varicella (for chicken pox) needs only 2 shots. For evolving viruses like flu, vaccine is often recommended yearly.

Elsa and littlewitch66 like this.