India has a heavy burden on its head - the migrants

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iamawriter, Jun 17, 2020.

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

migrants.jpg

When the lockdown was announced it was done without planning. Instantly lakhs and lakhs of migrants lost their jobs and had to return home But the borders were sealed with no transport. Many resorted to walking miles and miles some having lost their lives en route.

When the borders were opened they went by trains and buses. The good samaritans offered some air tickets.
    They are all home now with no jobs and nothing to eat.

There is nothing more to be said:(:(:(

Image Credit: https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/i...me-india-migrant-workers-200422084700100.html

2. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

That's a very heartbreaking kind of a news story.

Did the Indian government do nothing to support them?

The government should have a financial assistance for them to survive while their community is being lockdown.

3. Hova

Hova Active Member

At least they got to get back home. There are those who are still stranded abroad with no way to get back home.

4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Indian government did all that was possible to support them. They were given free rations, money etc. Lockdown delayed was not a choice, if we had waited, then the no. of corona patients would have been tremendous and the aftermath simply unimaginable. The government needed time to raise quarantine centres, hospitals to be equipped with facilities to treat coronavirus etc. Also, the migrants are being sent to their hometowns with 85% of their travel cost being borne by central government and 15% by the various state governments. All in all, the government is leaving no stone unturned to do right by those people, but the explosively high population defies all odds.

5. tyche

tyche Active Member

That's quite an unfortunate reality nowadays, so the workers have no choice but to beg, or use up their savings in this era of this Covid-19. They are lucky if they are able to survive until a cure is discovered or when the lockdown is over.

6. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

With coercion from opposite parties they woke up rather late and much damage is already done. I cannot even tell you what these poor migrants are going through. They have no work opportunities back home. However once the pandemic gets over the Industry people are planning on getting them back by plane.

7. Hova

Hova Active Member

At least there is some hope for them. But I'm very doubtful of promises made by governments.

8. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Did you know that these migrants have already started coming back to Mumbai and Pune to rejoin their jobs? Everyday at least 15000 are being brought back!

9. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

The Vande Bharat Scheme still exists under which those stranded here and abroad can avail of that scheme. My neighbour's daughter who is from the UK took advantage of that and flew back to the UK

10. Hova

Hova Active Member

I thought the Vande Bharat mission only works for the Indian government.

11. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

You are right. I am sure other countries must be having similar programmes. I am not aware of any such programmes. Are you? It is months now and surely everyone should return where they belong.

12. Hova

Hova Active Member

Some governments are stingy as fuck. I have heard stories of citizens who got flown home by their own governments, only to end up in quarantine catering for their own bills.