Is climate Change a major concern in today's world?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bani, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Bani

Bani New Member

I do believe that Climate Change is a major challenge in today's world considering the negative effects we as humans are experiencing such as Hurricane Harvey. If you disagree, why?

2. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I totally agree with you, Bani. Unfortunately, despite all the abnormal weather disturbances/natural disasters we now experience - frequent quakes, strong hurricanes, deadly wildfires, etc. - a lot of people still do not seem to care that these things are happening because humanity hugely contributes to the destruction of the earth. A very common 'malpractice' I'd say would be throwing bits of trash just anywhere, not in garbage bins, or anything similar. That in itself, when done by millions of people, leads to environmental pollution. People need to change their behavior and perspective. We only have one Earth. We have nowhere else to go once it's destroyed.

3. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I think climate change is a major factor in today's world, it affects all living beings and the way I see it, our climate is changing rapidly, case in point, The Philippines, it's where I live, nowadays were missing a season, 30 years ago we had 4 seasons, Christmas or Cold season, Summer, Rainy and Fall or Windy season as we call it here. Now we only have 3 Cold, Summer, Rainy. We lost Fall or Windy. Presently our typhoons are getting stronger and the sea is also rising more and more coastal areas are being swallowed up by the sea. I think in the next 30 years the effects of global warming and climate change would definitely affect the weather pattern of the globe in a bad way.

4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Yes, climate change is a real concern but too few people realise it and half of those who realise the fact are unable to do anything much about it. It is a real concern because it changes the cycle of seasons completely and that will ultimately affect production of food crops. Without food, where are we left?

5. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

You're quite right and I fully agree that in the near future climate change would have adverse effects in our seasons and that it would affect the food production that would eventually lead to food shortages, famine and starvation.

What I don't understand about our world leaders is why are they not doing enough to promote alternative clean energy like solar, wind and hydro. The world still depends on fossil fuel which is the main cause of this mess as suggested by All Gore in his Inconvenient Truth lectures and that was decades ago.

nangk08 likes this.
  6. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

The problem with climate change is that people really want to stop it, but big businesses and governments who favor big businesses like the oil companies, automobile industry are in connivance and are protecting each other. Another big contributor to climate change is deforestation by developing countries to pave way for more roads and cities. In Al Gore's The Inconvenient Truth, he said that worldwide famine will be experienced in the next 50 years and there's nothing we can do about it anymore.

7. tyche

tyche Active Member

True, it is a major concern, but I think it only comes 2nd to poverty and hunger, especially when you look at the plight of people in Africa.

8. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

I guess the reason behind is greed. The fossil fuel mines is a source of large revenues for most governments around the world. We already have seen the kind of politics that oil and money generated from oil has brought about in the middle East and the Arab world. Also, the fact that fossil fuel extraction might be a bit easier than creating alternative energy sources could be the reason why world leaders seem to be less inclined towards them.

9. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

That's exactly what's wrong with our world leaders nowadays, their only thinking about the present and not the future, some say that the world powers are supporting the use of fossil fuel to detriment of the whole whole world just to balance the world economy because if oil and petroleum products becomes obsolete then the Middle East nations who's rich in oil would literally become the poorest nations in the world leading to wars and famine. But for me stopping or hiding the progress and advancements of clean energy so that people would rely on fossil fuel is wrong and eventually this would come back to haunt us.

nangk08 likes this.
  10. Liranda

Liranda New Member

Greta Thunberg is a gift regarding this issue.

11. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton New Member

We are just making our future dark. When the world is true organic the climate is so cool to living for a mankind but now too much carbon in air making it worse for living human we can't breath fresh air the toxin air making us ill. The world leader should consider some alarming step to remove threat to human to make world safe.

12. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Pardon me for this comment if you are against my opinion. Everything about climate change, pollution and other problems of mankind is caused by over population. Food is getting scarcer because the farms have been converted into villages. Air pollution is worse because of the fossil fuels used by vehicles. Name a mankind's problem and the over population is involved.

nangk08 likes this.
  13. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

That too is very much true!! After all, there are only so much resources and it will be hard to feed and house such growing population on the earth that remains the same in size. It is actually quite remarkable and astonishing to note that while more and more couples everywhere are giving birth to single child, some couples not even one, how the population still keeps growing alarmingly, it is majorly one community that is not desisting in this aspect!

14. Jason

Jason Member

The climate change agenda is highly overrated. I think it is another mega scam. A change of less than 4 degrees Celsius should not send in people especially after it has taken 1000 years for that change. The new generation will be designed to cope with the environment that they will be living in. My thought!!

15. doursay

doursay Member

The climate is going to do what it is going to do and we can't change it. Sometimes I think this is all something for politicians to make a big deal about so money can change hands.

16. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Climate change is what we get of all forms of abuses we did to the nature. We are now suffering of the consequences of those abuses.

Now how do we stop the natural calamities that we are experiencing? The nature is punishing us. Finger pointing of who is responsible for this is of no use. Let's start from our own very home to practice caring for the nature. And we will see the good results.