Is it Okay for Mother to Go Away for Long Vacation?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Archimedes, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Archimedes

Archimedes New Member

I think it's been long overdue. Mom needs a break. A vacation away from home. Alone. No teens. No grandkids. No husband. Well, maybe, she'll let one or two go with her on a simple country-bush cottage camping. Away from the mundane stuff of busyness in the suburb. She can probabbly continue her dream of writing her books-- without the distractions of home-duties.

Would this vacation make her heart grow fonder while away from home? Do you think she'll be refreshed and 'rewired'? Having to leave teens and a husband, I wonder how the house would look like when she returns?

What's your take on this important issue in a mother's life?

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

I think it's important for a mom to take a much needed vacation from her mommy duties as long as her kids and the house will be monitored. Every mom needs to have some "me time" at times.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Archimedes likes this.
  3. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I totally agree with this. Too often, you find the pressure on the mother/wife is enormous and most times mothers would never complain. But as a society, we need to create avenues for the woman to rest and have time to recuperate and regroup. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive like a trip out of town. It could just be something simple like a spa treatment once a month, or a chore free weekend where she just sleeps all weekend and binge watch her favorite series on Netflix:).

Archimedes likes this.
  4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

IF the kids are grown up and can do stuff on their own, the why not? Even mothers need an occasional break away from the routine and the crazy routine of putting infinite numbers of meals daily, homework studies, play times and other hundreds of chores around the house daily. I personally would also like to take a break of at least 2-3 days where I can just go away somewhere with a few friends and not think about what to make for the dinner or for school lunch tomorrow.

Archimedes likes this.
  5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Pardon me with that notion of vacation that I think is silly. Can the mother leave her children for long? Come on, get real. But in fairness to your idea, I know that some mothers desire a getaway of sorts but not for long. An overnight is enough and 2 nights away is more than enough. Maybe the kids will be looking for the mother on the first and second night but on the third night, they may get used to it. That's why my take on vacation is just 2 nights.

6. Archimedes

Archimedes New Member

I agree. For years, she has put her 'life' on hold for her large family. And now that her children have grown and are mature, they have their own familes-- it's quite great for moms to have some longer-than-two-days vacation while the older children look after their younger siblings (who legally should not be left home alone). She very well knows she has trained them all well with good character, independence and sensitivity with one another.
    This kind of dream is an intelligent mom who does know and understand how to 'get real' in life. The kids love her for it.

7. Archimedes

Archimedes New Member

Up to now, I can't help think about my children out somewhere if they have had something to eat. You are right. When my hubby and I can afford it, I will stay for at least a week in my country vacation house. Take with me, of course, my youngest who is 14, still homeschooling.

nangk08 likes this.
  8. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Yes, even I would think of whether my son had had anything to eat, what did he eat etc. But in spite of that, I would still like to have a break away from the kids and daily routine. It would help me recharge my batteries ! :)

9. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I think some time off from the parent is good for the child or teen as well, because it helps grow their independence. This probably works both ways as far as taking a break from each other - but there is no need to take a vacation from your kids - you can just relax on the couch after you put your kids to bed at night, or go to a local restaurant to get some me-time as well.

Archimedes likes this.
  10. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Just to.get away from the humdrum situation of parenting is incongruous especially it's a long vacation and the baby is under nourished.

But when the kid is already growing up and could manage to provide for himself without depending from his mother.

It's okay when the mother is just away for a day but not too long.