Its hard to feed baby

Discussion in 'Babies' started by naruto100, Sep 17, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Hello guys,

My daughter is growing faster than I thought. Always feel good by seeing her every improvement.

Feeding baby is really hard as I have seen many kids with the same way. My daughter is going the same way. We have to do lots of stuff to make her eat something. She just don't used to sit at one place and keep going away when we try to give her something. I actually have to dance in front of her to gain attention and divert her, and then my wife try to feed her with spoon. Lol, sometimes its end up in really funny way.

But she is having milk with bottle without any problem. She don't create any kind of drama during her milk time. I know milk is good, but other food is important too.

I wonder how to handle this situation?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Risa likes this.
  2. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Ha ha ha! :DWelcome to the circus! Indeed our homes become a virtual circus when it is feeding time for the babies! Oh my, how I remember the times when we too had to resort to a variety of tactics trying to get our son to eat! It is not just stories and songs and monkeying around, but some times I literally had to cook a different variety of dishes one after the other after he refused each one, in the hope that he would eat something finally!
    But I have a sincere suggestion to you, please don't let her be addicted to drinking milk from a bottle, it is not a very good thing. If possible do consult with her pediatrician on how can take the bottle away.

naruto100 likes this.
  3. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

She is 11 months old now. Do you think we should start taking bottle away from her by little? I mean she is still not comfortable from drinking anything from cup or glass. But I guess she is not that habitual with the bottle so we will able to control it soon in future.

Yes feeding time is always hard. As we have to do lots of things to make her eat. I hope this will be reduce as time will go and she will start eating normally. lol

4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Yes, you should start immediately, because if you wait more now, she will forever be habitual to drinking from bottle and taking it away later will prove even more difficult than now. She is at an age where she can easily drink from a small cup, maybe you can get her a nice, good quality cup with bright colours and tell her that she is the sole owner of it. That will certainly spur her to drink from it. Prolonged bottle feeding results in poor gums and a few other problems. Also, it is my own observation that older infants used to drinking from bottle often show a poor inclination or strong resistance to eating healthy, solid foods. You can do a google search to know more the ill effects of it.

naruto100 likes this.
  5. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

@naruto100: The image of adults dancing in front of a baby to get him/her to eat is just too funny:D. I can imagine how that feels like. Over the years, parents have adopted so many ingenious way of trick-treating their kids into eating. I heard in some cultures, babies are force-fed. Like they are held down by one or two adults and practically forced to swallow the food. I think this is just horrible and to the extreme. Anything could go wrong when a child is force-fed. The baby might choke, or something worse.

I think like someone suggested if after trying everything and nothing works, think about visiting a pediatrician to rule out the possibility of an underlying issue.

6. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Hi @naruto100! My advice is that you try to convert them into "finger foods". Cut or prepare them into smaller, bite-size portions which your daughter can easily grab and toss inside her mouth even when she is roaming around. Kids her age are so hyperactive and it's true that we can not keep them at one place in longer periods of time. My kids have been there too! You can start with bite-sized fruits or a fresh potato, made as french fries! Hope this food hack help you with your daughter.

nangk08 likes this.
  7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Maybe your child doesn't like the food you are giving her. What we do in those cases is to turn to the beef broth with mashed potatoes. Boil beef and use the broth for mixing a little rice and half a piece of boiled potato. Mash it well and let the broth be ample so it would be like soft diet. That baby food never fails to feed the baby at all time. We also had babies who didn't want processed foods and even cereals.

8. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

We cannot possibly go by what a baby likes but rather go by what is good for the baby. Every household goes through this. Distracting a child's attention from food and putting in a morsel was the way in our household. The child would be carried to the garden with plate in hand pointing to crows and other interesting objects.

9. Rock1987

Rock1987 New Member

It depends on the situation and the mood of the baby. Sometimes the baby throws a tantrum and refuses to eat the food. Such a situation was faced by my cousin when his wife tried to feed the baby. The baby after a good night's sleep would eat the food happily without any problem. Sometimes the baby would refuse to eat and cry all the time. She would even throw up after eating a few spoon fulls.

10. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

That's really good advice. I will immediately put this in action. We have already small cup (especially for her, musical one) which she likes too. So we will try to feed her from that one. She has already tried it few times and she enjoys it too , but we were the one who actually avoiding that from her by thinking that she is too small for it. But I guess we were wrong. Thanks again.

nangk08 likes this.
  11. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Its not like she is disliking the food. Because sometimes same food she used to eat normally without any problem. So I don't think its like that. But still we used to try out different things for her. But most of time we have to distract her only then she eats her food. I hope this will be solved as she will grow.

12. Mika

Mika Active Member

It depends, I believe that a baby can easily live on mother's milk up to the age of one year and if the mother is working and she still wants to breast feed her baby the only option is to store her milk in fridge and someone in the household feeds the baby through a bottle. Otherwise also there is no harm if the baby loves bottle as it's nothing harmful or doctors advice against it. Otherwise also babies can carry on formula up to the age of one year so there is nothing to worry.

naruto100 likes this.
  13. johnny666

johnny666 New Member

Most babies love to feed themselves that's why parents usually give them finger foods. Cereals are the best alternatives for meal time. My toddler cousin loves to eat cereals and banana chips and he never get tired of cheering on them all the time.