Milk for babies

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Alexandoy, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Mother's milk is the best for babies and we cannot argue with that. But how about mothers who are working? Is it okay to feed the baby with powdered milk while the mother is at work and continue breastfeeding when she arrives home? I know of some young mothers who do that. But one pediatrician said that it is not advisable to mix breast milk and canned milk. What is your opinion on this issue?

2. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

It depends on the situation. But it is not a good thing to mix powdered milk and mother's milk. There is nothing as pure and as nutritious as mother's milk. But in a situation like more than one baby we may be forced to go for alternative options. Mother's milk may not be enough to feed all babies. That time we have to depend on canned milk.

Some health issues can also leave the mother without milk but we can't leave the baby crying for milk. Then powdered milk can be a life saver. However, in the first three months we need to make it a point to feed the baby with breast milk whenever possible.

3. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Fortunately in recent times so much advancement has been made with formulas that they're a lot closer to the nutritional content of breastmilk than they ever had been.

Health-wise there's nothing wrong with giving your baby both breastmilk and formula at times, although it's recommended to wait until the baby is comfortable with breastfeeding before introducing the bottle because otherwise they may start refusing the breast.

We've published these two articles over on our blog that may help and provide some additional insight:

Breastfeeding Vs Bottle Feeding – The Pros And Cons
    Your Essential Guide To Baby Formula

As far as when mom is gone - if you don't want to use formula you can always have milk pumped into bottles beforehand.

4. tony

tony Active Member

For working mothers is it not okay to express some milk in the feeding flask or bottle for the baby later in the day when the mother is away at work. I think strongly babies should depend on their mother's milk fully or at least 80% until they get to six months. After six months it can be a combination of breast milk and powder milk..

5. kokimboka

kokimboka New Member

I am lucky to have been able to exclusively breast feed my babies. For working moms I think one can express milk and keep it in the freezer for later use. I believe technology has advanced but still breast milk is the best for babies growth and development.

6. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I agree with @James McAllister. If the mother for some reason can not express milk for using while she is away, cow or buffalo milk can also be substituted.

The only instance when the child should not be given a mix of different milks is when the mother is HIV positive. In which case either exclusive breastfeeding or total supplement is advocated.

7. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Interesting, I actually never knew that. :emoji_open_mouth: And this, friends, is why I do not write our blog articles lol.

I've been reading parenting book after parenting book but I don't think any of them have mentioned that yet. I just read more about it online though and it makes sense. Appreciate you pointing that out Decentlady, we learn something new every day. :emoji_smile:

Decentlady likes this.
  8. kamai

kamai Active Member

Unfortunately because of my hectic work schedule I had to start my baby with powder milk in her first month. I would breast fees her in thw morning and also when I go home from work. My schedule was all over the place so sometimes I would skip breast feeding her before I left since she was asleep. I feel really bad about this because she wouldn't want my milk anymore soon after since she got used to her powedered milk. Unforetunately I only breast fed her four months.

9. Binu

Binu Member

Even the mothers who are working can feed her baby from her breast. A new born needs milk for every two hours,in small quantity . As the baby grows up, he/she needs to feed in longer interval in more quantity. A working mother can always feed her baby when she is in home. If she has day time work, she can feed her baby in the morning, evening and at night. When she is not available, the baby has to rely in baby formula.

10. Miches

Miches Active Member

I am a staunch advocate of breastfeeding. Unfortunately, my body's milk production wasn't adequate so I had to rely on baby formula to feed my child. I did try to pump whatever milk I can generate because I didn't want him to be deprived of its benefits. I had co-workers who managed to feed their child with breast milk by expressing the milk beforehand and storing them in the freezer. In most cases that I know of, parents found it difficult to fee their babies with breast milk once they were introduced to powdered milk. When we were younger, my youngest sister and I tried to find out why by tasting our other sister's milk. It tasted anywhere between bland and salty/sour, not something I'll want to drink everyday.

11. Mika

Mika Active Member

You have to look at the all the options available to you if a mother cannot breastfeed her child. We used quality powder milk for our child if there was not enough milk for my child in the earlier stage or my wife was not available at the feeding time. I don't think with right brands of baby milk available it should be a problem. At the same time, child raised on breast feed has a better immunity system.

12. faith

faith Member

You are correct, Alexandoy. In fact, it has been proven to be the case many a time. The milk from a mother is God's gift of nourishing life for that baby.....

13. tony

tony Active Member

I like that expression of yours, God's gift of nourishment for the baby. Breast milk does not only serve as food for the baby it also act medicine for them.

14. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

My wife and I have agreed that after our baby is born, my wife will stop working and will be on pregnancy leave for at least 4 months. After four months, when my wife starts working, she will be using pump to generate milk and in the day time when she is working, the baby sitter will feed this milk to the baby

15. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I don't know if it is an isolated case of planning a a mother's milk be commercialized, preserve it and placed it in a can. In like manner, what nutrients or nutritious values may be taken from mother's milk could also be reproduced to have a mother's milk brand. What a weird idea. Isn't it? But it would be possible. By the way, by experience I know that mother's milk or breastfeeding is best for it takes the warm body of mother to envelope the sucking baby and the principle of intimacy. Infant knows if it is his mother or not feeding him.