Morning Sickness

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by AngelaMc, Apr 2, 2017.

1. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:pCarb rich bland snacks such as dry cereal, crackers, and pretzels really helped me with morning sickness when I was expecting, ginger ale also helped tremendously. Some mornings it seemed like I was never going to get through it. Icey cold fruit and Popsicles were my other go to favorites that helped my nausea. How about you did anyone have certain foods that helped with morning sickness? If so what were they?:p

2. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I don't think that any food per say can actually help in morning sickness. It is just that a particular smell or taste triggers the nauseating sensation rendering everything around you smelly or having that awful taste.

However, sometimes the very food that helped you on Monday may not be tolerated on Tuesday:D such is the crazy morning sickness.

One should opt for whatever that goes in and stays :D.

Risa and AngelaMc like this.
  3. josephen

josephen New Member

I also don't think food can help with morning sickness.
    in her first pregnancy, my wife tried avoiding foods and took a lot of fluids but that didn't change either.
    however, I feel if she's needs to be more comfortable and less stressed; that way she can cope with the nuances.

LaCupcak3 likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

With our first child my partner was quite lucky and didn't have any morning sickness at all, and when other mothers told their stories it was hard for her to relate to. On our second child however she had morning sickness really bad, and even around her favourite foods and smells she was feeling nauseous.

While I'm sure that there are ways to limit the feeling, to be honest I just think it's all part and parcel of being pregnant and some women will have it worse than others, some not at all no matter what their diet is.

5. Trixen

Trixen New Member

Hi, I have a question. It is the 5th day of my missed period and I experience nausea but no vomiting. How soon can you experience this?

6. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I think my morning sickness was related to low blood sugar. I'd wake up feeling woozy and had to have crackers on my bedside table. I had to nibble a cracker or two, first thing. Having a bit of protein like peanut butter before bed helped, so I started doing that too.

As for smells causing nausea it may or may not be related to morning sickness (which can occur any time of day, not just morning).

7. luri

luri Member

In my observation, some women go through morning sickness through out 40 weeks of gestation period, whereas some women do not experience morning sickness. Interestingly, some pregnant women experience morning sickness during the particular time such as first trimester.
    Based on my understanding, there is nothing that can stop your morning sickness, no food, no medicine can stop morning sickness.

8. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Maybe nothing can 'cure' it, but there are definitely some things that can help ease it.

For me, the first trimester was always the worst, in regard to morning sickness. It seemed to lessen after that. I still became nauseous easily though. Some odors were a lot worse than others. Sometimes, just normal stuff would really gross me out.

9. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

@pwarbi, you're right. Every pregnancy is different - sometimes it's difficult, sometimes it's easy. And sometimes, nausea and/or vomiting is triggered by the smell of food or something else. Sometimes, one just feels like vomiting. Overall, it's a very uncomfortable feeling. If one's nausea or vomiting is caused by a certain food or smell, better stay away from the triggers.

10. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

I tried so many remedies but none of them helped me with morning sickness. The morning period of about 8 hours was always so unbearable with at least a single vomit followed by a constant never ending nausea. I hated this feeling and tried so many things. But nothing turned fruitful and the symptoms subsided at their own pace.

11. Elsa

I agree @thisnthat and @amitkokiladitya, nausea and vomiting would subside eventually, usually after the first three months. But when you're at that stage, it's truly the worst feeling ever!

amitkokiladitya likes this.
  12. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

Yes, it is one of the worst feeling on this earth. At times morning sickness makes pregnancy unbearable and irritating as well. The most tedious aspect is that nothing can bring any relief. It will subside on it's own when it would want to. I faced morning sickness for around 5 months and I hated every bit of it.

Elsa likes this.
  13. Elsa

I feel bad for you to have experienced it for five months. It's too much to bear. I, too, hated it especially every time I felt like vomiting.

14. Bani

Bani New Member

Now that I am all grown up, I can be able to tell when one is having morning sickness courtesy of my elder sister whom I live with. I understand that some women usually experience it while others don't. However, for those who experience it, the best way to get relief is by always eating small and frequent meals throughout the day. This will help a long way as the stomach is never empty. Snacks can include crackers, while tea can be lemon or ginger.

15. Elsa

Yes @Bani. I believe some women don't experience morning sickness, but most women do. All pregnancies are different. But you're right, eating small can help, especially if one eats the food she craves for.

16. Miches

Miches Active Member

I didn't experience the so called morning sickness when I got pregnant with my only child. My sister had four children and had mixed experiences on all pregnancies. The worst was with her first child where she would feel nauseous several times a day on the first two months of the pregnancy. Some foods would actually trigger vomiting though she would often eat those foods without problems on normal days. She resorted to eating crackers, porridge, and oatmeal in small servings throughout the day. She also drank a cup of ginger tea instead of the usual coffee.

Risa likes this.
  17. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I share the same thoughts @Decentlady. No remedy has ever worked for my morning sickness too! I agree that it is indeed triggered by something like for me, I can't stand by the scent of sauteed garlic. It just make me feel nauseous everytime, so what I do is that I lock myself in my room to avoid that smell.

I also have this weird thing that my morning sickness turns out to be more active during the night, particularly midnight. I had it in my 3 pregnancies. My husband has been joking me around that what I have isn't morning sickness, rather it is some sort of an "drunk sickness" and we both laugh at it, making me feel relieved in any way.

18. Risa

Hi @Trixen! Well in my experience, I feel nauseous as early as 2 weeks of my missed period. This goes together with other symptoms like fatigue, dizziness, motion sickness, breast tenderness and increased frequency in urinating. I start feeling them even prior to a positive pregnancy test result.

19. Risa

Wow your such a lucky woman @Miches! Morning sickness has really turned my stomach upside down. :D

20. HazelDJ

HazelDJ New Member

Morning sickness during pregnancy is possible because of the hormonal imbalance. Some may experience dizziness and some may also vomit. Morning sickness usually happens in the early stage of pregnancy such as in the first trimester. Sometimes the mother will be hospitalized because she could no longer eat .This situation makes her sick. So, the doctor will supply her nutrients through intravenous. But there are also mothers who do not experience morning sickness. This is because their bodies can adapt the hormonal changes.

21. LaCupcak3

LaCupcak3 New Member

Yes! That is so true. I was trying the same thing when I was pregnant last year. Morning sickness was all on me like Pepe Le' Pew and that cat he harass all the time. LOL! I hated it, but it was there when I didn't wanted it or needed. It made me feel so miserable, but all I could do is try to take my mind off of it and watch cartoons and eat something healthy.

22. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

With my first child I was lucky I had no nausea or sickness but with my second I was very nauseous and it was always around the time I had to pick my son up from school but never in the mornings.I found that eating a piece of toast helped, it would take it away almost instantly.

My mother had terrible sickness with me and said that all she could stomach was a few chips during the early months. We need to eat and drink though to keep up our energy and give the baby nutrients. Somehow they seem to survive however bad the sickness is.

23. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Pregnancy affects mothers in different ways. There is no guarantee that what works for Mrs. A would work for Mrs. B. It just depends on what works for you, and you try to stick with it.

24. tyche

tyche Active Member

I never knew that there can be foods to prevent or help with morning sickness? My mom never mentioned that there were foods to help with that. I think that's just an assumption?

25. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

My wife had morning sickness problems and what eases it is drinking a rich sweet hot milk chocolate drink then after an hour or two she would feel good already.
    There were times also that she wants to eat sour unripened mangoes sliced and dip into some salt and sugar or spicy and salty shrimp paste, there's something about the sourness that takes away some pain.

26. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I have seen how pregnant women would be throwing up and all other symptoms of the morning sickness that it is like showing the hardship that pregnancy can bring to a woman. I know that it is only a temporary condition that sometimes would last just an hour or so but for some, it can last the whole day.

27. Mika

Mika Active Member

I have to admit that most women I know had morning sickness during their pregnancy period. Most of them during the first few months, some of them during twelfth week onward and some of them during the entire pregnancy. My wife suffered right from the beginning until the last week or so and lost a lot of weight as she had developed a hate for food. She wanted to eat only a selected few things and if she ate any thing that was not of her choice she threw up invariably.