Mother-Baby Bonding

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Heatman, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

It is always interesting how a baby clings to the mother so much more than any other member of the family, and as such I wonder why? Some say it's as a result of the pregnancy connection through the placenta but I beg to differ.

Placenta connection is quite a strong link between the mother and child but it's obvious today that another form of connection exists after that which proves to be the proficient connection link between the pair and it's breastfeeding bonding.

During breastfeeding, it is noticed that as the child sucks the mothers breast, there is a constant eye to eye interaction with between them. It is this constant eye to eye link up that takes the hypnotic hold on the child about the mother; as such the mother becomes the most important person in the child's world at that stage till he/she grows up.

LaCupcak3 likes this.
  2. Miches

Miches Active Member

While I wholeheartedly support breastfeeding, a mom can achieve the same effect that you have described when formula feeding by holding the baby in the same stance as when breastfeeding. I don't believe that the placenta has anything to do with it, either.

It is said that from the time they were born, babies can already recognize their mother's voice. It's because while inside the womb, babies can already hear the mother's voice and the sounds of her body. After birth, it's usually the mom who cares for the child. Additionally, the woman is often more verbal and demonstrative of her love for the child and the child is likely to return this affection. It's no wonder why babies are usually closer to their mom than to anyone else.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I always thought the bonding process from breast feeding would last all through their life but I have found it is not so. My son and I do not get along well at all as adults (although my daughter and I do). My nephew was bottle fed and has a great relationship with his mum so lifelong bonding is not promised.

4. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Are referring to the breastfeeding of a mother to her child which has much to do with the mother-child strong bonding relationship? It could be, but for me the love and care which the mother afforded to her child as we call it Mother's love is the important and influencing factor that really matters in making their relationship a strong and better ties.

5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I agree that the baby is closest to the mother maybe because it is part of nature since the baby came out from the mother. Anyway, what I can say about this bonding is that the baby can sense the emotions of the mother. When she is angry, the baby can be stressed for the anger is also felt especially if the baby is being breastfed and the mother is quarreling with someone. It's better for the mother to control her mindset before breastfeeding the baby so what she would project are positive vibes only.

6. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Bonding does not end with the umbilical cord or breastfeeding connection. There is more to bonding. A lot of hard work goes into bonding with children and it has to work both ways. Concern for each other wins hands down

7. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I think this bonding can be formed from when the baby is still in the womb. I once read somewhere that babies can hear and recognise sounds from as early as six months while still unborn. So, pregnant women are encouraged to sing to their babies and also to play soothing music to help calm the baby down. This bond is further strengthened when the mother constantly holds and touches the baby for extended periods.

D Lee likes this.
  8. D Lee

D Lee New Member

This is true and scientifically proven -that's why you find the baby already naturally attracted and attached to the mother the minute the baby is delivered. The other thing is that bonding should be done by both the parents at the baby's tender age -that care and presence is a necessity that a child basically needs inorder for them to grow up knowing the importance of both their parents, family..and relation to the greater community (the people who they baby will come across afterwards during the visitation periods, friends and relatives as well)