My sister needs your help.

Discussion in 'Babies' started by ptahm22, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ptahm22

ptahm22 Member

Hi, my sister gave birth to a child six years ago and she is now four months pregnant. She is going for maternity leave in five months. She is not going to receive any maternity pay from the government or her job. She loves her job but she still wants to stay home with her babies. She obviously needs the income but child day care services are expensive. This is what we call a dilemma.
    Any advice for her?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Well, your sister is 4 months pregnant and she has a 6-year old child to take care of? I wonder why there is an issue in the maternity leave? Here in the Philippines, the maternity leave is 45 days for normal birth and 60 days for caesarian (correct me if I'm wrong on the figures). However, I understand that there is a limitation to the number of pregnancies because it would be unfair to the company to have an employee that gets pregnant every year huh. Now, if your sister wants to be staying home, the question is for how long?

3. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

The UK does 39 weeks paid maternity, but that's not much use to your sister if she doesn't live here. Without knowing what country she is in it is difficult to know what kind of help is available. Whether to stay home or go back to work is a hard choice, but it is one that a lot of women have to make, especially if they are the breadwinner.

If she wishes to remain home, does she have family who can support her? Is her job one that can be done from home, or does she have enough savings to manage without an income? Would she be eligible for any form of government support? It might be worth asking at the local jobcentre or equivalent. The other issue is the cost of childcare against what she earns. Is it going to cost her more to go back to work than she will bring in?

4. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

In your country I know that your society is very homely and caring. You probably have many relatives who can look after the baby while she works after her maternity leave and so she doesn't need to stay home for 6 months!

Let her take her due maternity leave, which I understand is 3 months and then ask a relative/grandparents to take care of the chikd during her working hours.

5. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

I'm not sure what the laws are like in your country and all of the opportunities that are available but I can offer the following tips:

• Look for hand-me-down clothing, products, anything that can be reused. Many parents have products that their babies don't need anymore and are willing to give to others in need for free or very cheap. This can be a great way to save a lot of money.
    • Try to get other family involved as much as they can to help in all areas. A stressed mother can facilitate a stressed baby.
    • Have her save all the money she can now and prepare early.
    • Since she won't receive income while she's on maternity leave, try to spend as little as possible during this time.
    • Let others bond with the baby. They'll want to babysit more which will help reduce costs.

6. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I do appreciate these suggestions. I may only add that the family may cooperate to their family member like your sister. Or you may help her in this dilemma. I am not cognizance on how your government is treating the maternity leave of a working employee. Losing her job is very difficult to accept. Why tap any welfare organization? Or Church welfare program for that matter? Remember if there is a will, there is a way.

7. sweetsugar

sweetsugar New Member

I think the law varies in different countries. May be she could get back after a few months.