No soda for the kids

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Alexandoy, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

My niece who is a pediatrician said that parents should start their children young in avoiding soda. Carbonated drinks are addictive that young children can be easily hooked because of the sweet taste. I am a soda drinker but I have to agree that it is not really good for children to be drinking Coke or any other kind of soda. Fruit juice is the best beverage for them.

2. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

Yes, it's a good idea to keep your kids away from soda - because it has zero nutrients, also soda is high in calories and sugar as well. Some other wierd things about soda, includes phosphorus, which is a common ingredient in soda that can deplete the bones of calcium - so this makes the child more prone to broken bones. Soda is shown to lead to tooth decay and diabetes as well in children.

3. Hova

Hova Member

Soda can cause obesity too. There are these twins in my neighborhood that are totally addicted to soda and it has messed up their health. They are overweight at a very young age due to these carbonated drinks.

4. tyche

tyche Active Member

Yes, I agree, it really isn't healthy at all for the kids to drink soda, once in a while it's ok, but not healthy in the long run.

5. Hova

Hova Member

Same applies for energy drinks.

6. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

This is definitely a good idea if you're able to do it.

Most things are alright in moderation, soda included. Of course, it's very easy to go overboard without realizing it. As @Folk Artist points out, soda has zero nutrients and is essentially just empty calories, making it easier to gain weight (in an unhealthy manner.)

I cut soda myself a few years ago and haven't had much of a desire to drink it since.

7. Hova

Hova Member

Also, don't forget the effect soda has on one's teeth in the long run. People who are always sipping on these sugary drinks, have really bad teeth.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I am a Coke addict that I drink at least 1 can in a day. But I neutralize it with water. After the Coke, I would drink at least half a glass of water. I think that is okay since I feel fine with Coke. And for the day, I always reach the quota of 8 glasses of water.

9. Hova

Hova Member

If you feel fine, well, that is all that matters. If you are on coke and still are healthy, then I guess a can each day is the right way to do it.