Plastic Or Glass Bottles – Which Are Better For Feeding Baby?

Discussion in 'Kinacle Blog Posts' started by Kinacle (Bot), Oct 23, 2017.

1. Kinacle (Bot)

Kinacle (Bot) Member

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I was born when plastic was not around yet or maybe not this popular. Bottles were made of glass and even drinking glasses are always made of glass. Plastic bottles appeared when I was in high school. I remember hating to drink in a plastic glass. And my mother reasoned that plastic glass doesn't break so children like us should use that. With the milk bottle, we never used plastic bottles. But now, it seems the milk bottles are common to be plastic maybe because it is more practical.

3. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I haven't seem to encounter baby bottles made out of glass yet and what I am used to seeing and using is the plastic variety. I agree that there is a potential risk with regards to plastic materials, and I think we should be more critical with regards to selecting the best type of bottles and nipples for feeding our baby. I'll often go for adding a couple of bucks for a higher quality baby bottle.

Elsa likes this.
  4. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

I would advocate glass bottles as they do not react to any substance filled in them. Some mothers keep milk in these bottles for long hours which is not recommended if the bottles are made of plastic. Not just for baby's milk any wet substance cannot be kept in plastic bottles once the seal is opened.

Elsa likes this.
  5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I'm just trying to remember what I used when my children were small but as I breast fed them and rarely used bottles it's hard to remember. I think it was plastic. I never worried too much about contamination as the sterilisers would take care of any bacteria and I used one long after the recommended time for sterilising bottles.

I daresay that when I was born there were only glass bottles but everything changes and we have to keep up with the times. Do glass bottles even exist now?

6. elyy

elyy New Member

Glass bottles do exist, you can find them at any babies r us. i know the avent brand has them and so does evenflo.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  7. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I don't remember seeing glass bottles when I was a kid. But it does seem that my husband may have been bottle fed with glass bottles because like you, he doesn't want to drink in plastic cups/glasses as well, haha. He is way older than I am so he might have experienced using one. I'll ask him about it, haha.

8. Elsa

You know what, you're so right about this. Recent reports indicate that plastic containers or bottles (like the ones used for bottled waters) are meant only for one-time use, so that means no recycling or re-using them. Apparently, plastics could release toxic chemicals used in its production and this can be dangerous to our health if ingested.

iamawriter likes this.
  9. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

What's with the present generation I say:p It's time they go back in time and do what their elders did. I am a senior!!;)

Elsa likes this.
  10. Elsa

LOL! Your remark made my day, haha. But you're right - the older generation must have done something right to have lived longer years with less serious diseases. These days, the new generation may be lucky to reach 50 without some form of cancer, or what have you's.

iamawriter likes this.
  11. Rmarsh1984

Rmarsh1984 New Member

I used glass bottles with my daughter. I liked them because they didn't take on smells or colors, they didn't react with anything, they have no harmful chemicals. The only drawbacks were heating times, takes much longer to warm up a pre-made glass bottle than a plastic one. They are also breakable, so avoiding temperature shock is critical, as well as over filling if you use it to freeze milk in. They are also heavier, so if your baby is a helper when it comes to holding their own bottle, it might not work so well with glass. Also, you need to be more careful as to not drop or throw your diaper bag down depending where your bottles are stored in it.