Postpartum Depression

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by AngelaMc, Mar 1, 2017.

1. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:(Childbirth can trigger an array of emotions for both parents, ranging anywhere from, excitement, anxiety, delight, and depression. If any of these signs are exhibited it is commonly known as Postpartum Depression or Postnatal Depression.

It is said that Postpartum Depression usually begins 2-4 weeks after your child is born, and can last up to a year afterward. Tell your Doctor if you feel you have any of these signs, Sadness, Mood Swings, Crying Spells, or Trouble Bonding with the baby, you may have Postpartum Depression. Do you know anyone who had this after their baby was born? Or have you ever suffered from Postpartum Depression?:(

2. moondebi

moondebi Member

This is a phase when the new mother goes through a lot of physical and emotional changes. A great deal of hormonal activities occur inside. Disturbed sleep, lactation, post birth conditions are some of what contribute to the stress factor.
    I saw one of my relatives to go through this. She needed medical intervention to come out of postpartum depression. Besides, she had a good support system which typically helped her in that period.

AngelaMc likes this.
  3. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

Yes I believe a good support system is needed greatly when Mothers go through this, and medical attention is definitely needed. I remember one of my Sisters telling me my Mother went through this when one of my Brothers were born, she received the help she needed and also my family supported her also.:rolleyes:

4. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

It's pretty commoon, without 1 in 8 women experiencing it. The whole process of becoming a mother is pretty big, perhaps the biggest thing mothers will go through in their lifetime, so it makes sense that emotions can fly throughout and afterwards. Of course, this is nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about.

We've published an article on postpartum depression over on the blog, it covers a lot about it as well as some advice on how to handle and move forward:

Postpartum Depression – Everything You Need to Know

AngelaMc likes this.
  5. Mika

Mika Active Member

It seems like it's going to be a major problem in life for those that develop postpartum depression and it happens to almost 10-15% mothers. The problems like loss of appetite, insomnia, irritability and also problem of difficult bonding with the newborn are some on the list. Incidentally, if a solution is not found at the beginning stage it may last for a long time.

AngelaMc likes this.
  6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I had that sad experience with my wife about the post-pregnancy moods. It’s not good to relate my anecdote but let me just give some hints. When our daughter was 9 days old, she was hit by severe diarrhea. After being released in the hospital, my wife and daughter were picked up by my wife’s father and they went to their house, leaving me like a stupid who doesn’t know what’s happening. It’s good that I was so patient as to let things pass. After some time, it appeared that it was that postpartum depression that made my wife go home to their house without even informing me of her rash decision.

7. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

Postpartum depression to unsuspecting individuals can be very confusing. I have seen and known many such women. I recall one particularly young first time mother with such a condition. It was such a challenge to handle her as she was suicidal and we had to keep a close eye on the baby as she attempted to kill the child too. Luckily, her mother was very close to her and we had to hospitalize both mother and baby under close supervision. She did recover after a lot of counselling. The father of the baby was nowhere in the picture since it was a one night stand issue.

8. Trixen

Trixen New Member

Is anyone having anxiety or mild depression before pregnancy prone to post partum depression? I have seen on the news about a mother experiencing that and she killed her babies. :( Her husband and parents didn't seem to notice she was going through it. They regarded it as normal to feel helpless and tired from taking care of her children. Horrible and sad.

9. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

It's really sad to hear stories like this @Decentlady. Many are, indeed, clueless that one is going through postpartum depression. The incident could have been prevented if those around here were aware of the problem. I would say the fact that she got pregnant due to a one night stand aggravated her depression. I'm sure most women dream of having a happy family. Glad to know she eventually recovered.

10. Elsa

Hello, @Trixen.

A study from the U.S. National Library of Medicine indicates that women aged 20 to 40 are more prone to depression. This age bracket is also the age of childbearing, so women are highly likely to experience postpartum depression. Sadly, many of the symptoms are often attributed to mere exhaustion and stress brought about by the demands of caring for a newborn. I believe we should strive to inform people about it because it can be deadly like what you've mentioned.

11. Miches

Miches Active Member

I'm glad that I did not go through it. I know that there are people who don't understand nor recognize that postpartum depression is real but it is and it can affect any woman. Some, even women themselves, would say that women are just using it as an excuse to have their way. About two years ago, a video of a new mom repeatedly slapping her newborn baby who was crying all along was aired on local television. It was shocking for me. The woman was said to be suffering from depression because of a failed relationship and it was made even worse when she gave birth to her child.

12. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

Postpartum depression is a very common thing these days. It's occurrence rate is gradually increasing. Although biologically it is the hormonal recession that causes this state of depression and anxiety. But I feel that it is mainly because the modern, educated and self dependent females cannot cope up with their completely transformed lives.

A child brings with it bundles of responsibilities. A mother has to make a lot of compromises. Motherhood demands a lot of sacrifices that include career, freedom and a good body. Most of the females take time to accept this changed reality of life and soon start seeping into depression.

13. tyche

tyche Active Member

All of my friends still don't have kids, so I still haven't talked to a mom who has post-partum depression, but I assume that it's also similar to regular depression. The only difference is that it's triggered by the birth of a baby.

14. Elsa

Postpartum depression is real. I'm glad I didn't experience it. However, there are those who suffer from it and not just hurt their babies. I've watched news on TV where the mother has killed her own child due to postpartum depression. This is something that should be carefully observed in women who have just given birth.

15. Elsa

You could be right with this observation. Changes in "career, freedom and a good body" or body shape could lead to depression because of the huge adjustment a woman has to deal with after giving birth. These changes could harbor a lot of negative thoughts and feelings that may lead to depression.

16. Elsa

I've read that they are similar in a lot of ways, although, as you've mentioned, post partum is triggered by the birth of a baby. It is also brought about by a lot more factors related to child birth, as compared to regular depression, and could last longer, even two years after giving birth.

17. tyche

tyche Active Member

@Elsa, I also read that postpartum depression makes the mother have difficulty in bonding with their baby, so it would be quite unfortunate if the mom would have it, since the interaction with the baby is compromised.

18. Elsa

So true. I can't imagine a mother hating her own child to the extent of even hurting it all because of postpartum depression. That is very sad indeed.