Pregnancy And Heartburn

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by AngelaMc, Jan 5, 2017.

1. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

When I was pregnant I had a lot of heartburn, sometimes unbearable. My family would always say "The baby was going to have a lot of hair". Sure enough my son was born with a full head of black hair, not to mention the black little peach fuzz hairs he had on his body.:)

I would love to hear if this has happened to anyone here. Did you have a lot of heartburn with your pregnancy? And if so, did your baby have a lot of hair?:)

2. Binu

Binu Member

I am five months pregnant and I also experience heartburn every now and then. However, I have never heard about the connection between heartburn and baby's hair. If this is actually true, I think my baby will have good hair.

AngelaMc likes this.
  3. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

It is a very common heard that lots of baby hair gives heartburn.

Although there is not much truth in it, heartburn simply worsens as the baby grows and pushes the tummy up towards the the upper gut. Indigestion is frequent not only because of the anatomical change but also hormonal.

One can also get very severe heartburns post delivery that might actually mimic Myocardial Infarction.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I remember my wife experiencing heartburn when she was pregnant although not too often. This is the first time that I've heard of that myth or superstition that hearburn can give the baby more hair. Here in the Philippines, the superstition for pregnant women is to be given whatever she wants especially what she craves for otherwise the baby will be a brat. Old folks say that a content mother who is pregnant will have a contented baby.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

My partner also suffered from really bad heartburn when she was expecting our first child, and some nights it would keep her (and me of course) up for most of the night.

It got so bad at one point that she mentioned it to the doctor to see what to suggest, but I'm not sure that there is any real remedy for it. It went as quick as it came, and would come and go at any time, so I do just think it's one of the symptoms of bring pregnant.

6. kamai

kamai Active Member

I too had unbareable heart burn through out my entire pregnancy and was told the exact same thing. Sure enough my daughter was born with a full set of dark curly hair and also had peach fuz hairs on her face and back. I didn't believe it at first but sure enough what I was told happened.

AngelaMc likes this.
  7. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

I too thought it's just an old wive's tale till I read a report on this.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University conducted a study involving 64 pregnant women and 74% of them were experiencing heartburn. Among them out of 28 women who were having heartburn 23 gave birth to babies with average to above average hair. But quite surprisingly 10 out of 12 who were not having any heart burn got babies with no hair!

But scientists also warn us that this may not be true at all times. A heart burn can happen because of many issues.

It is also said that high levels of estrogen during pregnancy relax sphincter at the bottom of the esophagus which cause a leak in stomach acid resulting a burning sensation. It is true that same hormones also play a vital role in growth of hair on fetus. So there is a chance that higher the burning sensation, higher will be the level of estrogen hormone.