Reading instead of Gaming and watching too much TV

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by acebabe001, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:36 PM.

1. acebabe001

acebabe001 New Member

During the early 70s when I was still in grade school and high school, play was something that was done outside than inside. Well there were indoor games like boggle and chess to name a few but it was mostly play outside the house. We biked a lot, trekked long distances, played under a moon lit night, swam in the river during summer, climbed a favorite mango tree, had mud war when it was raining, etc etc etc. It was more fun outside the house. But we also read a lot even if we did play outside. These days, computer/vidoe games are played inside the rooms for hours on end and Ive noticed kids seldom read books. Thus they write poorly and doesn't even know the best known classics like Call of the Wild or Tom Sawyer. I dont know but too much of play and no serious reading may also make a lad dull.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I like this topic because I also had experienced my parents asking us to read our textbook. Unfortunately this scheme doesn't work now anymore. There is the technology that kids are into and some kids are even addicted to computer games or tablet games. It is really difficult to take them away from their pastime. But strict parents have a way and I believe that their kids do listen to them.

3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I think reading within the four walls of the house could be still be done. And it could be realized and the children couldn't do otherwise.

How? It's simple. The parents themselves should do it. They set a schedule for the reading time of their children. They will the one who lead their children and the day of the week is Monday. We may call it Family Home Evening.

4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

There are so many options of good reading material available for kids nowadays that they can really enjoy. It just needs some efforts on part of the parents to introduce the books to the kids so that they get into the habit of reading. But parents find it more easier to let kids watch TV rathen than spend time themselves to read out to the kids.

5. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

I think its hard for this generation to like studying due to the fun technology nowadays.