Role of a husband during pregnancy.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Blymur778, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Blymur778

Blymur778 New Member

Expecting a baby is a feeling totally out of this world not only for a mother but the dad.During this period,the mother goes through emotional ,physical and hormonal changes.The love,care and support accorded to her is very crucial at this point.

Here are some tips to follow,to ensure your wife's needs are well catered for.
    1. The first thing to be able to be there for your wife is to be mentally prepared. Pregnancy comes with many unpleasant and sometimes annoying situations.

2.Help with some house chores to allow her time to rest as this period is crucial.

3.Prepare a meal timetable together to ensure she gets a balanced diet that is to her liking.

4. Accompany her for her prenatal classes and give her the support needed.Let her not feel like you are just an interested spectator.

5.Take her for regular doctor's appointments.Be aware of her birth plan so as to help her during labour.

6.Help her prepare for the baby's room and drive her to the mall for baby shopping.

7.Try to put up with her mood swings as difficult as it may seem.Understand it is part of the pregnancy cycles.

8. Always remind her that she is beautiful.Pregnancy comes with many uncertainties especially when the mother gains weight and feels unattractive.

Tip;
    Make her priority more than yours.Indulge in her cravings.

Risa and Heatman like this.
  2. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

These are great tips, @Blymur778. Thank you for sharing. I just wanted to add something on tip #7 and that is to be VERY patient and understanding because pregnant women sometimes tend to drive men nuts because of mood swings, haha.

Heatman likes this.
  3. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I couldn't agree more with you @Blymur778, you practically laid down all the basic responsibilities an expectant father should take up in assistance to his pregnant wife.

Pregnancy is not an easy thing to carry for 9 solid good months, I can still remember making one thread on "the plight of pregnant women", it's not an enjoyable experience. It comes with lots of stress and ache. So I believe the husband should be a good back of support for the pregnant wife and show her lots of care.

Elsa and Risa like this.
  4. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Very well said @Blymur778! Expecting dads are sure to learn from this list. I like the one you said that husbands must make their wife a priority. Pregnant moms really need this one. We need to feel important, loved, and cared for all throughout pregnancy.

5. Risa

I salute you @Heatman for being a very thoughtful husband to your wife. I am really happy seeing dads like you agree with these pregnancy stuff. I hope there will be more dads out there who can relate like you do.

Heatman likes this.
  6. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

That seems like a nice list. I was very blessed in that my husband seemed to be a natural at this. He did all those things and then some. He was my rock. He made being pregnant (and labor and delivery) much better experiences for me, by being so loving, supportive, thoughtful, helpful, and kind. He's such a good man. I wish every expectant mom to have the same kind of support.

7. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

These are some really great and useful tips. I remember when I was pregnant, my husband used to be really very supportive too and he took so much care of me in those days. There were days when I could not sleep at all, I suffered from insomnia on a lot of occasions, and he made sure I was as comfortable as I could get, sat with me and talked with even though he was too sleepy himself. Little things such as laying out my dress as I got ready to go to work, filling my water bottle, lunch box etc. but they added up a lot and made my pregnancy so much easier.

8. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Thanks @Risa for the compliment but I must be honest with you, I'm yet to be a dad or get married but I quite good with kids and pregnant women. Although I am already a godfather and uncle to several of my cousin that are already new member to the family, they are the joy of my life especially when are so small. I could give up a day job just to carry them around.

But I'm giving you a guarantee that my getting married is no longer that far. The day it happens, I will certainly let the who house know and probably PM you privately.

9. Risa

Sounds great @Heatman! I bet she'll be a lucky one. Well then I congratulate you both in advance. Hoping for the best!

10. D Lee

D Lee New Member

Very True. As a husband, one should try to
    • Read and collect information about pregnancy and parenting to make informed decisions and handle unexpected situations during labour and childbirth. You can read books, browse pregnancy websites, consult the gynecologist and talk to your friends who have babies to understand better.
    • Arrange for a prenatal photo shoot to relieve her stress and enjoy motherhood. This will also help her cherish the memories of pregnancy and baby bump.
    • Prepare for the D-day (day of delivery) –Keep your hospital bag ready with clothes, phone, charger, ipod, magazines or books to read, snacks etc. It is important to keep the car ready and know the hospital route. Most first time pregnancies take hours in the labour room, so be prepared to wait patiently and support your wife.
    • Stay calm and help your wife during labour even if she gets anxious or freaks out due to the prolonged labour pain. During labour, most women may not be able to talk for themselves; it is important to talk for your wife if it becomes uneasy for her to understand what’s happening. Be firm and ask for explanations if any intervention is made at the last minute.

Elsa likes this.
  11. Risa

I like the idea about the pre-natal photoshoot. Sounds fun and this will totally delight a mom to be. Thanks for sharing!

12. tyche

tyche Active Member

Thank you for sharing these tips. I don't intend on having any kids, but for sure expecting moms and dads will find this helpful.

Elsa likes this.
  13. Elsa

Wow! You're a VERY lucky woman indeed @thisnthat. He must love you very much to do that. I'm sure you feel the same way.

My husband is not the domestic type, but he is a very responsible man, and a good provider and loving father to his kids so he is also a keeper.

I would say my sister's husband is like yours -- he's also a natural at child-rearing, and he cooks, do the laundry, etc.

14. Elsa

That is so loving and thoughtful of your husband to take care of you like that. So happy for you. I'm sure he is also a doting father to your baby :)

nangk08 likes this.
  15. wallet

wallet New Member

Your post shows the important things a husband should do for its pregnant wife, I have done almost all of them, I guess I have reached at the point 6.I will surely do the rest as well in the next future, now we are preparing the room for our next born baby, we are thrill and we barely wait for him to born!

thisnthat and Risa like this.
  16. D Lee

D Lee New Member

You're welcomed @Risa. Anytime..
    And Yes, the photo-shoot times are a fantastic way to get your wife excited and at-ease in such times. It will also make her feel loved, appreciated and beautiful. It's a way of making her happy, and she'll do her best to keep strong to manage a safe delivery.

Risa likes this.
  17. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Thank you Elsa, I am really very lucky to have found such a husband! I think, he is an artist and that is what makes him sensitive to my needs. And yes, he is also a very doting father to my son. I am a very proud wife :)

18. Risa

I can say your wife is a lucky woman too! Doing great things for her will indeed help her in going through a smooth pregnancy and delivery. Good luck and may she have a safe delivery!

19. Risa

Yes I wish my husband and I had this idea way back then. Maybe we can manage to have baby photoshoot instead, since my baby is already born.

20. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Congratulations! It's definitely an exciting time. I'm glad you are a kind a caring husband. Having babies isn't easy.

Yes, @Elsa, my husband is a good family man. He's great with kids (and now grandkids). He can cook, and quite well at that, but not so much on the laundry thing, ha ha. I guess nobody is perfect. :p

21. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

The husband is the most important person for a woman during her pregnancy phase. It is the only person upon whom the would be mother looks for physical, mental and emotional support. The fluctuating hormonal levels during pregnancy cause multiple changes in a woman's body as well as her personality. A strong, supportive and understanding husband can easily help his wife to sail through the tough times of pregnancy.