Role of a man during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Merlizy, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Merlizy

Merlizy New Member

Many a times men do not understand the language of pregnancy, but its best when the woman takes the man through it so that none will feel neglected or pressured.
    To the ladies who have been through this stage, what do you suppose is the role of a man during pregnancy?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I was always in synch when my wife was pregnant. I was aware if she was having hot flushes or getting uncomfortable with the food. There were nights with difficulty in sleeping. I guess the husband should be closer to the wife during the period of pregnancy until after delivery.

Elsa likes this.
  3. kamai

kamai Active Member

The role of a man during pregnancy will have to be to take care of their wife and make sure they stress the least possible for the babies sale. They don't have to serve them hand and foot but it is nice to please them once in a bit while because we woman get more sentimental, well at least that was my case. They can do Nice things like trying to get them what they crave or do ahorra for them that can be too strainious. Of course a little bit of love showing helps too.

4. remnant

remnant Member

The man should play the crucial supportive role by providing for the pregnant spouse materially as well as being a good psychological buffer. Pregnant women have mood swings and anxieties and the man should be in a position to understand her. Presence in the labour room is greatly recommended for reassuring support.

Elsa likes this.
  5. Mika

Mika Active Member

The men should be understanding and take some workload off from their wives. The should be a little more helpful in everything especially cooking since women feel uncomfortable in kitchen during pregnancy. Men should take special care of women's diet since most women feel like eating different during pregnancy. Listening to women's problem sympathetically is another important point.

Elsa likes this.
  6. fern2x2001

fern2x2001 New Member

It's really important for women to have their husband at their side as they go through the whole pregnancy. The husband must be the one getting his wife back to reality when she is floating in her imaginations about everything negative. To tell her wife every time that everything is going to be all right. That she is getting prettier and prettier as they go through the pregnancy. To cook for her, to go with her every morning for the daily walk, to still love and hold, and many more.

Elsa likes this.
  7. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Personally, I would say love and support for the wife. It is during this time when a woman's self-confidence could be down because her nice figure is gone and could feel insecure as compared to other women. It's important for the husband to reassure her of his love. He also needs to accompany her to the OB if he has time. It's good if he could join her in the clinic because he'll be able to listen to what the doctor has to say about the wife's condition/situation.

8. Elsa

That is very thoughtful of you, @Alexandoy. I would say not many men would want to be involved with all the fuss of pregnancy. Good for you, especially for your wife, haha.

9. Elsa

That would be nice, indeed. But I would say, don't expect too much, haha. You know what they say, women are from Venus, men are from Mars :D

10. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

What I have noticed is that the modern generation goes through this together. In the good old days there were marked roles but when it came to pregnancy the husband played no role at all

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  11. Elsa

Oh yes, mood swings. I would say that is the most challenging behavior a husband has to bear when a woman is pregnant. I'm guilty of that when I was pregnant, haha, but sometimes I can't seem to control it. But of course, women should not overdo it. Men can only take so much, haha.

12. Elsa

So true. Research indicates that during the old days, men didn't play any role at all and they could go anywhere and do anything they like while the wife is in labor or giving birth. But these days, roles have evolved and men are now actively engaged.

iamawriter likes this.
  13. Elsa

Yes, it would be nice if men could do the cooking, but not all of them can cook, haha. Oh but when a man can cook, his good at it! Lending a sympathetic ear to his wife would really be helpful, too.

Mika likes this.
  14. Elsa

Oh yes, all these would really be nice. I'm sure there are a few who are into ideal relationships/situations like this. But for many, this would just be a figment of the imagination. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but this is the reality of life. As they say, we should not expect too much. It's the expectations that are the source of our frustrations. But a husband should do his best to care for his wife because after all, she's carrying your child and she's sacrificing a lot. Be kind and understanding. That in itself is already a blessing for any pregnant woman.

15. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

I was the fifth girl child and when my grandfather came to know that it was a girl again he did not even come to see me is what my mother told me later (lol)

16. Mika

Mika Active Member

I did and gave all my support during the entire pregnancy period and after the baby was born. In fact I had suggested my wife to leave her job as soon as she was pregnant and stay at home since she was in a private job which did not have the facility of paid maternity leave. Later she liked the idea of taking care of baby and the home while I did my best to support her which was not an easy thing for a marketing professional.

17. Elsa

That is so good of you to do, @Mika. Being a working mom to a newborn is truly difficult. If you have the means, it would be good to have mom stay home for a few months while baby is growing up. She can go back to work after that. These days, it's difficult to keep up with the expenses of a growing baby so if someone could be relied upon to care for the baby, mom could go back to work.

18. Elsa

He was probably disappointed that you're a girl again, haha. Men do want to have a boy or two in the family. To keep the lineage and name "alive" so they say. It is understandable because I know women also want to have a baby girl in the family. But boy or girl, I really don't mind. I just want all of them to be healthy and normal. Every baby is a blessing. Some are not given the chance to be parents.

19. Mika

Mika Active Member

I did not want another child (although we had a boy later who did not survive for long). We are happy that we have a daughter and never cared or tried for another baby after the death of the boy when he was less than 2 months old. I never we missed a boy in our family although Indian conditions demand that one must have a boy because the last rituals are performed by sons or grandsons only. However the trend is changing and we both have donated our bodies for medical researches.

20. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

I think men should take enough responsibility about this and take care of women proper enough. Just few years back I faced this, and I am glad that I able to handle this situation quite properly. At least my wife says this thing. Whenever she required any of my help I was always there for her even during nights. So yes every men should take care of these days properly by taking full responsibility.

Mika likes this.
  21. Rmarsh1984

Rmarsh1984 New Member

My husband has been very supportive through all three of my pregnancies. I know that if I was to ask him to make a run to pick up some food I was craving, he would. I just don't like to ask him to do anything special. He is already the sole provider for the family while I stay home with the children. Unless it is something that I just cannot do, I try my best to get it done on my own. I am not high risk, so there really aren't any limitations on my doing anything, aside from physical exertion which can cause prolonged discomfort or pain at times.
    My favorite thing that he has been doing for me when possible this time around has been letting me sleep in or go for a nap on weekends he isn't working. Now that we are in the home stretch before baby arrives, I find myself more tired than usual, so these extra periods of rest are more than welcome!

Elsa likes this.
  22. Mika

Mika Active Member

I know you are a father of a baby and what you said is entirely true. Let me suggest you that the process of helping your wife goes on as long the child is self sufficient. All your help goes a long way for the welfare of your wife, child and your household in the long run. As they say it needs two hands to clap likewise a family becomes a true family when all play their role well.

naruto100 likes this.
  23. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I am morally obligated to my wife to take care of her for better and for worse as I remember my marriage vow. In my wife's pregnancy status, I have very delicate and serious role to do. I will provide everything she needs for our baby. The vitamins she needed. The good feeling she have to maintain while carrying our baby until it is being born. And also the foods my wife take for they might affect the baby.

The role of a husband during his wife's pregnancy is no joke. It should be taken seriously borth for the baby and for the mother.

Elsa likes this.
  24. joey_2tep

joey_2tep New Member

That is so true! Being a husband, it is by nature to know what is supposed to do during my wife's pregnancy period. And wow!..mood swings were there..lol! Sometimes it makes me think if I am still doing the right thing or not. The most important thing is I stayed beside her because I believe when husbands do that, you are not just creating bond with you wife but also with your baby. When husband is taking the responsibility, less stress for wife as well as for baby.

Elsa likes this.
  25. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I have heard so many different account, from both men and women, and it still seems that there is really no consensus. I guess that only means it is a personal thing and ideally there is good communication to sort it all out.

26. Elsa

Oh yes, you need a lot of patience when it comes to mood swings, haha. And yes, sometimes you can't help but wonder if you did something wrong that is why she is mad/angry at you or just plain unreasonable. But most of the time, it's not you - it's her, haha. Pregnant women are most often sensitive and could go crazy over the most simple things.

Good on you to stay by her side. Not many men would have the patience and understanding you have. Your support for her and your baby is a wonderful thing that she would appreciate, whether she says so or not.

27. Elsa

I guess you're right, it's a personal thing. It really depends on the couple's preference. Personally, I didn't want my husband in the delivery room when I gave birth to my kids because I can't seem to focus, and it only prolonged my labor, haha.

28. Elsa

It's wonderful to hear that you didn't "ask him to make a run to pick up some food" when you were craving. You're very considerate and understanding. Some pregnant women are just plain unreasonable with their demands, often using their pregnancy to drive their husbands crazy. It's not a good thing to do that to our partners (although it can be tempting at times, haha) because it could drive them crazy, and sometimes make them think they're doing all the wrong things. Poor husbands.

I'm sure you're very much thankful for having an understanding and thoughtful husband as well; it's very nice of him to let you take naps when you need it.

29. Elsa

It's wonderful to hear of your devotion to your marriage vows when most couples forget it as years pass by. Good job! Keep it up :)

30. Elsa

So sorry to hear of your loss. I am a parent, too, so I know that hurts real bad :-(

Great to know traditions are changing in your place. That would mean a lot :)

Mika likes this.