Second hand clothes

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Emma kwamboka, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

Secondhand thing is common among most of he people. These are especially a popular thing among the younger generation this can low cost. The product, qualify and cost of second hand clothes differs, in fact it is possible to have if they are almost as new.

Would you buy second hand clothes for your toddler?

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

Yes I would if I had a kid, because it would save me money of course, lol. Also, since toddlers grow up so fast, the clothes being sold would still be in good condition.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I will never buy second hand clothes whether for my kids or for me. But receiving second hand clothes that were used by the cousins of my children will be just fine because I fully know the source. And that's what we do in the family, exchange clothes of the toddlers. However, that was when times were pretty hard. But if I have the money then I will just buy new clothes for my toddler. The cost will not matter much.

4. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Never buy them but we had this system as we called it 'hand me downs' in that the older siblings passed on their clothes to the younger ones. I was the youngest and never got the joy of seeing my clothes being worn by my siblings.

5. Mika

Mika Active Member

I have never bought one but donated a lot of our clothes to lepers and homeless people. In fact buying used clothes is neither safe with health point of view or considered good for one's reputation. However, people with not enough money accept them especially the domestic helps, homeless and other jobless people. I am unwilling to accept that we have a large number of beggars in our country who also accept used clothes gladly.

6. JiLLian

JiLLian New Member

I used to buy preloved or second hand clothes for my baby. For me, it's a practical idea especially for mommies with low budget like me since babies actually grow fast. Actually buying used clothing nowadays has become a new trend in social media and even online stores. I always buy new stuffs before but saw some used items posts in facebook which made me realized that I could get the same clothes with the same value for a much lower price and at the same time. Some of the items were as good as new and I was so happy to have spent only between 10 and 20% of the actual price of those items. Such a great savings!

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I used second hand clothes all the time when my kids were little. Babies grow so quickly that some clothes are hardly worn. I remember when I had my first baby who was a boy, I had so many gifts that some of the clothes never got worn so I just gave them away to people who needed them. It's a good feeling to be able to do that.

8. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

I use both old as well as new clothes for my son. My sister always gives me old clothes of his son. And as a matter of fact, I never mind using them. In my country, clothes are really expensive and if I get some old ones then this helps me to keep my budget under control. Instead, I can use the money for buying other productive things for my son.

9. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

It would depend on the type of clothing as well as the age of the child. Babies from 0-12 months, personally, I would never buy second hand clothing for this age for health reasons. As they grow older, this risk is lessened and second hand clothing would not be a big deal. However, this would still be limited to clothing like outer garments like jackets and tough play pants.

10. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I might purchase a second hand clothes for myself because I believe I'm old enough to wear such without much side effects but when it comes to my child who is still a toddler, I don't think that there is anything or anyone in this world who would be able to persuade me into buying a second hand wears for them. If it's not a new dress, let him wear the old one I bought for him already and forget about second hand grades.

11. to7update

to7update Active Member

Second hand clothes are the best, but they are not very common where I live, especially for toddlers. I am fortunate enough to have brothers and sisters with older kids, who give me their clothes. It's great! :)

12. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

That is a good point about maybe not using them for kids of all ages, and when they are little something new is probably best. When they start getting dirty every chance they get though, that is when it is really a must have in my opinion.

13. Mika

Mika Active Member

Second hand clothes are available in schools as the schools encourage people to donate the clothes and then they sell them to other students for fund raising purpose for different charities. I know number of parents visit the schools on fixed day of the week to see if there is something for their children which will help the cause of charity as well.

14. to7update

to7update Active Member

Interesting that you mention schools because, in fact, schools are a huge repository for used clothes. Whenever my kids had some sort of wardrobe malfunctioning, they would always be delivered to me in school clothing. That's a neat service actually. :)

Mika likes this.
  15. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

How fortunate, I'm the one that gives my close relations some of my baby's used clothes because I have more than enough which aren't put to use much often. So therefore, instead of leaving the clothes to stay dormant in the wardrobe, it's better I give it out to my close relatives.

16. to7update

to7update Active Member

Yep. The luck is that my nephews are older than my kids, so I save a lot of money, as clothing is really expensive, even more when it just lasts them 4-6 months, depending on their age, as they grow real fast.

17. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

I would not purchase second hand clothes for my toddler. With the rising rate in spread of diseases around the world, not to mention the obvious hurt to my reputation, that would be unwise. I do not even buy used clothes for myself. As much as saving money is an attractive perk, the risks are substantial as well. Toddlers have weak immune systems and are susceptible to contracting fatal diseases. I believe buying them second hand clothes would be an irresponsible parental decision.