Sleepless for years

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Kakashi2020, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I think most of the parents here would understand this topic.

We have 2 kids who where born 2 years apart and when our first child was born, the sleepless nights started and lasted for 2 years then our second child was born and the sleepless nights continued for another 2 more years. I was literally a caffeine zombie when it ended. I mean being a father is really a great experience but without any family members to help, it was quite hard since I was also working full-time and my office was far away, so I needed to leave early and get home early to help my wife with the kids. When I arrived at night, I would hurriedly prepare dinner and let my wife sleep while I take care of the kids. I became a master in bottle sterilization, mixing baby formula and changing diapers, my wide would wakeup around 3AM and I would sleep for 2 hours only daily for years. My only Naptime is on Sunday, when my mom visited I'll sleep for about 6 hours, while she tends the babies.

Elsa likes this.
  2. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I remember having many sleepless nights or those where you go in and out, which are almost just as bad. It happens with young kids but I never really got too overwhelmed, so I guess I was a lucky one there.

Elsa likes this.
  3. Hova

Hova Active Member

I want to put it out there that I'm not speaking from experience since I don't have kids yet, but I've seen it in movies. Kids are a ton of work especially when they are just toddlers. Parents never get a chance to rest cause they are always up.

Elsa likes this.
  4. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Haha, I'm going to laugh first because I feel exactly what you are going true since I have been and still in the same situation till today. My last son is still 16 weeks old and he can give troubles like tomorrow would never end. He practically wakes up every 2 hours interval in the night to suck breast, and I have always felt for my wife because he deprives her of good sleep. So I have become the baby feeder, anytime he wakes up.

Elsa likes this.
  5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

With my son although he was a crying baby he would cry all day and then be exhausted by night time so I got my sleep, My daughter however woke up so much in the night that I hardly slept. I remember the first time she went through the night, she was 2 1/2 and I woke with a start thinking that something must have happened to her but she was stood up in her cot looking at me.

6. to7update

to7update Active Member

I was lucky enough to haven't spent many sleepless nights with my 2 kids, but I had my fair share. One thing we did great was to put them in their room at their 4 months old, and let them cry their lungs out until they realize they were stuck there, permanently. I suppose that helped a lot. :)

7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Our trick to avoid the waking of baby during the sleeping hours of the adults is to make the baby adapt to our time. After dinner, the baby will start to show signs of sleepiness. What we would do was to play with the baby especially if the child is already a toddler, it is easy to make him stay awake for long. By the time we sleep, the baby is very sleepy already and would wake up by dawn at the earliest. But during the day time, it is okay for the baby to sleep any time.

Elsa likes this.
  8. Steve5

Steve5 New Member

I think it's the case for most people. Parents have the responsibility of taking care of the child. The problem is that it can ruin your sleeping hours due to the baby's different time for resting. It would be great to have someone who can take care of the child as if it were his/her own.

Risa and Elsa like this.
  9. Steve5

Steve5 New Member

That's a great tactic. I've also seen some relatives do this as well. It makes it much easier to manage the baby. He/she doesn't wake you up constantly due to feeling sleepy. Makes for a pleasant experience.

10. Steve5

Steve5 New Member

That's funny. I wonder if it would work with other babies. Some parents are lucky to have babies who don't cry a lot. Some are actually quiet aside from being hungry or needing a change of diaper. I hope more babies have that kind of attitude.

11. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

A good night's sleep is one of the first things to go when you become a parent. And you're right, it will last for years - I would say up until they become adults. This is because even when they're grown up, we would still need to wake up early to prepare them breakfast before they go to school. Getting a few hours of uninterrupted sleep would be a luxury at this stage.

Your wife is lucky to have you because you help with parental duties and house chores. God bless you for understanding and knowing your role.

12. Elsa

You are indeed lucky to have gone through child rearing without much stress. You're one of the few lucky ones :)

13. Elsa

True, kids are a handful. In fact, it could be worse in real life, hahaha

14. Elsa

Hahaha... yep, looks like you're still in the midst of sleep deprivation. Don't worry, it will end eventually but not in a long while :D

15. Elsa

That's true, Steve5. It would be a great relief, indeed. Unfortunately, it is difficult to find help or a sitter who would treat your baby like her own.

16. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Lucky is your wife that you work and yet, you give her more time to sleep at night. Be patient, sleepless nights are part of parenting. However, parents also need adequate sleep as much as their children do. It is the way to stay functional as a parent. Some parents seek help to teach older babies to sleep through the night, which does not only benefit the parents, but most importantly, it benefits the baby by offering an uninterrupted quality sleep.