Stupid question (but I do this) Do you ever eat baby food??

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Natasha0717, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Natasha0717

Natasha0717 New Member

I can't help it, I'm not a big fan of fruits or veggies in general, yet I need to get them into my diet. And sweet potatoes (I'm just too lazy to prepare them) do wonders for your skin, hair, eyes, nails, and even help control hormone levels in women. So I just go ahead and buy baby food, that's right, for myself :D:D (remember, I don't have any kids)...and just get all the vitamins and nutrients I need from fruit/vegetable baby foods: These are my faves...Banana Custard Pudding, Apples and Pears, Bananas, Plums (I add a little sugar to this one) and then when I go for the veggies, particularly the sweet potatoes, I like the one (can't remember the company but I know what it looks like) - it's Sweet Potato and Cinnamon Oatmeal Complete Breakfast and it comes in a green pouch with a red cap. I eat these every day. Sorry babies, if I'm hogging up your food aisle and snatching your food selections from you. ;)
    Have you ever tried or eaten baby food? Just for kicks? Or for the reason(s) I've mentioned above ^ ?

Risa and kamai like this.
  2. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Ha HA.. Honestly yes I have eat baby food. But it wasn't prepared or taken specially for me. It was for my daughter but if she don't eat them completely then it comes my time at night. I complete her leftover food, and honestly it tastes really good. So yes at night time if my daughter hasn't completed her full dinner then I eat it.

Natasha0717 likes this.
  3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I don't now but I used to love rusks when I bought them for my children. When they got older they ate Weetabix and Ready Brek and I still buy them for myself and my granddaughter now. I never used to like the sloppy baby food you get in jars though and only used them if we went out. I preferred to cook proper meals and puree it for them. The problem for me is I like my meals piping hot but you can't give it to babies at that temperature. I always thought it tasted quite gross when it got luke warm.

4. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I think I have tasted baby food when I prepared food for my eldest, but I don't think I'd like to eat them. I simply don't enjoy eating puree, and I like to bite or chew the food. I didn't buy much baby food for my kids, as I prefer to prepare them myself.

By the way, I don't think it's a stupid question. We all might do something differently from others. :)

Elsa, Natasha0717 and kamai like this.
  5. kamai

kamai Active Member

This is not a stupid question at all as I think most parents have tasted baby food at some point whether to make sure its appropriate for the baby or just because they like it. i used to make all my babies food as I dont think that store bought baby food is as heathly and I know exactly what is put in the food and my baby is eating. I always had a taste before I gave her any and then I would eat her left overs, there is absoluely nothing wrong with that and it's pretty good.

Natasha0717 likes this.
  6. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well thanks for the good laugh, and yes I have tried it, but I cannot say that I eat it. I would interested to see if there are more people out there than I may think that do, though.

Natasha0717 likes this.
  7. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Hahaha:D. Yep, I am certain many parents (or caregivers) are guilty of this. I have lost count of the number of times I 'tasted' baby cereal or baby formula milk. It is just pure heaven. It tasted so delicious.

Natasha0717 likes this.
  8. tyche

tyche Active Member

I don't have a kid, so I don't have an idea of how baby food tastes like, and I don't even remember how it tasted when I was being fed with it when I was a kid. I would like to taste it though given the chance.

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

When I was young, I used to see my mother preparing baby food. Bottled baby food was so expensive that we couldn't afford so my mother would resort to making porridge or potato soup in chicken broth. She would be tasting the food before feeding it to my younger siblings (there were 3). Even with the fruits like grated mango or melon, my mother would taste it first. She always do that as a safeguard since the baby cannot talk, can't say if the food is bad. I was 7 when I started to be the baby food taster of the family. I love the rice in chicken broth with grated carrots and potatoes.

10. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

You are the second one I hear singing the praises of sweet potatoes. I simply love sweet potatoes and now I must increase the frequency of eating it.
    No I do not eat baby food (lol)

11. Mika

Mika Active Member

I am not sure if I would eat any particular baby/kid foods unless I am too hungry. I can't imagine using a pouch of yogurt for 6 years old even if I am too hungry lol. I would not mind a glass of milk shake with banana, Pears, apple and other fruits but that I certainly do not consider as babies' food.

12. Gad

Gad New Member

I enjoy eating my sister's food. I would not term it necessarily as baby food since she is 3. However, she has a tendency of demanding for things which she ends up not liking by the first taste. That is where I come in. Recently, she said that she would eat fish after seeing other kids eating. She was bought the meat and after tasting it she did not like it. I ended eating up the whole thing. It is not bad, as long as the baby is satisfied or she has not touched the food in a bad way.

13. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I could totally relate to eating your younger sister's food or leftover. I do that with my kids' leftovers, too, haha. And yes, it wouldn't taste so bad because they're no longer baby foods but regular foods that adults also eat.

14. Elsa

It's my first time to learn that someone actually likes and eats baby foods, haha. And @tallulah also finds baby formula milk "pure heaven".

I never really liked the taste of ready-to-eat baby foods and formula milk. I did taste them so I know what they actually taste and if my baby will like them (same thing with meds), but never ate them to satisfy my hunger. The only baby food I actually ate with my kid is mashed potato.

15. harijobs

harijobs Member

Absolutely yes. I am not a mother and I have tried the baby foods my mother bought for my brother when he was a baby. I was curious to see how it tastes to him so I started eating it and ended up eating the whole food that was meant for my brother. He started crying as I ate all his food right before his eyes and when my father came and saw me eating the baby food she couldn't control her laughter. I really don't know why she laughed that hard but it was quite a sweet memory

Elsa likes this.
  16. Elsa

I could just imagine the scene your mother saw that made her laugh so hard, haha. Just imagine walking in on an older child and a crying baby, with the older child happily eating the baby's food causing the baby to cry. That is one funny sight. I'm sure I would have laughed so hard, too.

17. Elsa

Good for you, @kaka135 for preparing your baby's food. You are assured of its good taste and safety because you know exactly what's in it. Homemade baby foods are actually highly recommended for those who have the time.

18. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Yes, as I was a working mom and my mother-in-law was helping me to take care of my eldest when he was young, so I didn't want to burden her too much to cook all the food for my baby, buying some baby food from the shelf really helped. I also found that some baby food is quite sweet, so now I prefer to prepare the baby food on myself. Even simple food such as steamed pumpkin, sweet potato or porridge might be more natural, but it does require some time to prepare.

Elsa likes this.
  19. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

Willfully or unwillingly, I always prefer to eat all the leftovers of my kid. For me wasting food is a crime. I must admit that there are times when I actually relish every bit of the baby food. Moreover, I feel happy to eat a nutrient rich food.

Elsa likes this.
  20. Elsa

I totally understand the situation of working moms because I am also one of you. Oftentimes, we opt for ready-made baby foods because it's convenient, especially if we're really tired. But once we have time, we do our best to prepare the baby food. It's also our way of showing how much we love our baby. You're right, it could be time consuming but it's all worth it so we don't mind :)

21. Elsa

haha, that was funny. You "actually relish every bit of the baby food". I can't remember doing that, except maybe for mashed potato, haha. Other than that, I never really liked the taste of baby food. But for food that can also be eaten by adults, I surely eat all my kids leftovers, which is partly the reason why I gained weight :rolleyes: . I also hate wasting food. I always tell them to eat everything on their plate or to only get food they can consume.

22. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

That was too wise of you @Natasha0717 to come to think of baby food as a replacement source of vitamins and minerals, and it's also easier to prepare.

I have tasted baby food as well, I think most moms do. I do it to check for the taste and temperature of the food prior to giving it to my baby, and they actually tastes good. About the left overs, my eldest son have been fond of eating left over baby food of his younger brother, haha. His older cousin loves baby food as well.

23. amitkokiladitya

I agree. Most of the mothers gain weight only because they eat the high calorie baby food. But, I cannot tolerate food getting wasted and hence have to opt for eating it .

Elsa likes this.
  24. Elsa

Same here. I also hate wasting food. I always tell my kids not to waste food and that they're lucky to have food on the table, and that a lot of people do not have anything to eat so they should be thankful.

25. amitkokiladitya

True....and on the top of that whenever I try to discard some food my mind immediately projects a picture of those kids who sleep empty stomach. This makes me feel so guilty that I eat the food irrespective of what my taste buds feel about it.

Elsa likes this.
  26. remnant

remnant Member

Honestly, I rarely eat baby food. One of the reasons is that its too liquid and mashy for my palate. Then again, it depends on the situation at hand, say tasting for palatability. Otherwise, baby food is quite nutritious any day, don't you see?

27. Angkwan

Angkwan New Member

Yup! And love it!haha!.... my son, a 4 yrs old behemoth, usually leaves half in a container, so i need to finish it! At first, i’m hesitant but eventually needed to do it....even now, if he did not finished his food, i’l have to take it...somehow, showing him that it wouldn’t be good to waste food. Sometimes i always say “finish that, b’cause there are other childrens that can’t afford to buy their food, you are fortunate to have one”.