Taking medication when pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Alexandoy, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

In our culture, a pregnant woman should be wary of taking any kind of medication even for the common colds. It is believed that the baby in the womb may be affected negatively that the birth could have defects. That is a good reason for the pregnant woman to be careful in getting contaminated.

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

It's always ok to be taking medications, but only the ones that don't require a receipt, since they are not as harsh as the ones that require a receipt.

3. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

The best thing to do in this situation would be to conduct thorough research, or preferably, talk to a doctor who would be able to give you tailored advice.

Medicine is complex and can interact together in strange, unpredictable ways. Although I personally prefer to take as few medications as possible regardless (as does my partner), a doctor would always be able to give the best recommendation.

4. Hova

Hova Member

I don't understand what you mean by medication that don't have receipts. Please you elaborate more on this.

5. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

Some pharmaceuticals are safe to take during pregnancy. But others are not, and have consequences on your baby. One should confirm with their health care providers the risks and benefits to help you know what is safe. Prenatal vitamins are examples of supplements you can take while pregnant. You shouldn't take any over the counter drugs while pregnant.

6. Hova

Hova Member

Regular check ups should help an expectant mother figure out what medication is safe to take.

7. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Medicines may or may not affect the pregnant woman if she takes it. There are meds that are tolerable for the preggy to take and there are dangerous to the woman who is on the family way.

If unsure on what to take when not feeling well, the pregnant woman may consult her family doctor rather to be sorry or regret later.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

When the baby is born and there is an abnormality especially in the body parts, the first thing that the doctors asks of the mother is if she had taken medication while pregnant. I do not know if that is really true but the doctor in our family said that it is a logical approach because some medicines can affect the development of the baby in the womb.

9. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

I think he means over the counter drugs cause those are issued easily. You don't need a prescription from a doctor. You can just elaborate what you are experiencing to the pharmacist and he can assist you with the best medication that would eradicate the pain.

10. Hova

Hova Member

I know cultures who only use traditional herbs. They have specific people in communities who are specialized in the art of root-cutting and other mysterious stuff. Do you think deformities can also be caused by these herbs?

11. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

What do you mean by deformities?

12. Hova

Hova Member

Like being crippled. That is what I meant.