The age of reason is 7

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Alexandoy, May 6, 2018.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Have you heard of that term "age of reason?" That was always used when I was young. That we should be lenient on kids who haven't reached the age of reason yet - 7 years old. That means the culture dictates that before a child reaches 7 years, he is not taken seriously hence his tantrums should be tolerated somehow. That's also the reason why children starts schooling at age 7.

2. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

In today's world where children get exposed to knowledge - thanks to the Internet and tv - I think a child gets matured much faster. I therefore think it could be somewhere around age 5 that today's children reach the age of reason.

3. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I have not heard about the term "age of reason", but I have always read that kids should start the academic learning or any logical thinking when they reach age 7. Talking about reasoning, I have also read we can't expect kids to understand before they are five years old, so we don't need to explain too much or tell them "why". Even when a child reaches 7, as he just leaves the early childhood year and he just started to learn to adapt to the teen or adult world, hence we should still be lenient to him.

4. Mika

Mika Active Member

I am not sure, I have met some children with perfect reasons and understanding that were in the age group of 3-4 and I have also met a lot of 7-8 or even older that refused to understand or listen/applied any reasons at all. It all depends on the ability, mentality and how a child was raised. I would certainly not associate age with reasoning.

Risa likes this.
  5. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

In my country, more specifically my family, kids mature pretty fast. I, for one, was already in kindergarten by the age of 3. I guess the age of reason for every kid is different and depends on their brilliance. The concept "age of reason" is very foreign to me though.

6. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I have heard a lot of things about a lot of different ages so I am not sure I put much stock into anything, although when you factor in some cultural ties and things like that maybe it makes things a bit different. It makes sense and probably is but you gotta think of all the outliers too.

7. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I think the cognitive developement for a child starts about 7 and goes to 12- and this is the way a child would process and also include the way a child would articulate this information as well. Also a preoperational stage starts at 2 and goes to 7- and at these years, they only see things from their angle.

8. mynameisshieldler

mynameisshieldler New Member

Very well said, that was the situation that happens in our country.

9. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Nowadays children are schooling at a much younger age, at around 3. 5 to 4. My 2 kids started this young too, and in my personal opinion, I am really against this one. It is very hard for children at this age to be consistent and compliant. I admit they can be fast learners. The problem is that they are still attached to their parents at this age and parents often find it hard to allow children to cry when leaving them at pre-schools. I guess this one also counts that they are not yet in this "age of reason". Though, this phrase sounds pretty strange to me.

10. tyche

tyche Active Member

I agree, the age of reason should be age 7, and I only remember the things I did when was around 7 also, the things I did and the memories I had before 7 were very vague, so that is the suitable age, I think.

11. Hova

Hova Active Member

You can pretty much program a kid to become anything or anyone you want so long as he/she is between years 0 and 6. So I'm afraid there is no such thing as the age of reason.