The Reverse Process.

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Shine_Spirit, May 3, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

Decades ago, it was very common for families to be very large, with parents having many children to form a single family. In today's society this is totally unfeasible for the vast majority of people. The reverse effect is clear.

However, if you had the financial conditions (and all the others necessary aspects, obviously) would you do the reverse process to ensure a family with many members?

2. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I would still prefer to have smaller family than larger ones despite all the resources.

I think more than money and other constraints, it may be the ability to give each child individual attention that is a challenge in larger families.

harijobs and Elsa like this.
  3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

It is our culture in our own country to have a large family. Family planning finds it a hard time to campaign on controlling more births or having a big family. It is a tradition among us that the bigger the family is the happier.

Now our government is funding birth control to save the country from over population. Lest, the government couldn't afford to support the populace. In my case, I have 6 children and I have reared them up, given them proper education. And now they have their own family to support them.

4. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

No, I'd probably stick at two or three and give them all the attention I could. I've seen too many larger families where the older children are expected to take over parenting the younger ones, and that's not really fair since they are still children themselves. In older times like my grandparents much of life could be taught practically, but now it takes a bit more experience and with the conflicting influences of peers and the internet I want to make sure I have time to know what all my children are getting into.

Elsa likes this.
  5. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I agree with you on this one @Decentlady. I think the biggest challenge in big families is the time given to each child. Parents can give their children enough money (if they have the resources) but it would be really difficult to give each one enough attention. I believe raising children requires devoting ample time to each one, not just to them as a whole, because each child is different and has different needs.

Even if my three boys are already in their teens, I devote time to have fun and bond with them, and I think it paid off because they also consider me as a friend, not just a mom. We talk about the latest movies and music, and even about their love life whenever I ask them. It wasn't like that with my mom when I was growing up. I wish it was, but I love her anyway.

6. Elsa

My thoughts exactly, @Taliska. It's not fair to ask older siblings to care for the younger ones. They can help but they should not be burdened with it. It's the parents' job to raise their children. And yes, it is important that we know what's happening in our children's lives in this day and age.

7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I have also noticed the diminishing number of children in a family. We were a brood of 6 and most of my friends live in a family with more than that number. But now, those friends who grew up in a big family have children whose family is pretty small like 1 or 2 children only. So me and my friends have only few grandchildren to speak of. Maybe it is the natural defence mechanism of nature to limit the growth of the exploding population.

8. Elsa

I have noticed that, too. I have friends who are more than 10 in the family. When they had their own family, most of them only had one or two kids. With them though, the diminished number is largely due to work - they are often busy, and having another child would impede their ability to work and earn.

9. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

It is as I have said the culture of our people to have a large number of family is a common practice of those who are poor or categorize as below the poverty level. But among the well-to-do and the rich, their family members are limited to one, two or three children are the least. They don't want their wealth be distributed among the great number of people.

10. tyche

tyche Active Member

Manny Pacquiao has many kids, and since he is very rich, he can easily support them. If he was poor, him having many kids wil be frowned upon. I think what matters is the financial capacity and willigness of the parent to take care of them. I personally don't want any kids, even if I can afford to support them. It's always a matter of personal preference.

11. Miches

Miches Active Member

Regardless of my financial capacity, the most number of children I'll want to have is 2. After all, it's not just about being able to provide financially for child. You'll have to care for the child, teach him to be a good person, send him to school, and help him prepare for his future. Although every child is a blessing, having one is a huge responsibility and having too many child is something I feel sure I'm not up to.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  12. harijobs

harijobs Member

I agree with @Decentlady. I will prefer a smaller family because we would be able to take care of each of the child efficient by giving individual attention to each of them which is difficult in a larger family. I don't know about other countries but in my country, there are families with 12 children in the olden days. Now I hear they have up to 6 children in a family.