Toddler Left in Car

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Jasmin Cottontail, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I don't know which section should I post this so I'll just post it here.

There are many cases of babies/toddlers being left in a hot car and unfortunately, some of them die. I don't know why some parents can leave their children or pets inside their car and run an errand. Should there be any laws to prevent this from happening?

I saw this video on YouTube and I feel terrible for the toddler. Thankfully, she was rescued before it was too late. What are your thoughts about this?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

For any sane human being, there can be only one thought...it should never happen! I know that things are different these days, and society has changed a lot but surely people and especially parents should be wise enough to know that you don't leave a dog in a car in hot weather never mind an actual toddler or baby. It does make you wonder what (if anything) actually goes through the mind of these people.

I panicked when my children was in the car on a hot day even when I WAS with them, so to leave a child in a hot car unattended is a form of child abuse and the parents (if you can even call them that) should be dealt with like any other child abuser.

Jasmin Cottontail likes this.
  3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

I don't like to leave the kids alone in the car (either mine or others).

Even if it's for a few minutes (as many people like to say as an excuse... by the way, irresponsible people), I avoid it as much as I can because I keep imagining "millions" of things that can happen in my absence. It's kinda scary sometimes. o_O

I even agree that it may be a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but I prefer to sin for too much care than for some lack.

4. Anne

Anne New Member

Any sane parent would be wary of leaving their child anywhere out of their sight, even if it's the grumpiest shrieking baby in the world. I'd be terrified that someone would break the window and kidnap my baby... That much is part of a parent's instinct, but sometimes that instinct won't kick in. Either because they're irresponsible or oblivious of the dangers, or even worse when post-partum depression kicks in instead. There's also parents (both of them) that can't seem to bond with the baby at all, seeing it as a really noisy accessory.
    But let's not forget that one of the most common reason people forget their children anywhere, in the car, at school, at the market, is because they're way over their heads with responsibilities. Lifestyle is important on parenting. If you can't muster your focus to take care of your everyday life from the stress and the exhaustion, you're bound to make a mistake somehow.

5. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

I agree. I wish I knew more of the backstory on what the mother's explanation was. I mean, mistakes do happen but that's not really an excuse when it can be fatal.

The thing that got me though was that when she got back to her car, she didn't look surprised or mortified - she said sorry like she knew the entire time and the girl was left in the car intentionally. That's a bit ridiculous if it's true.

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Let me share what happened to a little girl. The father borrowed a car so the family can have a good time in the park. They went home after midnight. After parking the car, the entire family slept... not knowing that their little girl was left in the car sleeping. The missing daughter was discovered on the next afternoon.... dead by suffocation.

7. janemarie

janemarie Member

It is ridiculous to leave a baby, child or pet in a car. A pet is okay in a car if the window is left open one inch, as long as it is not hot weather. But a baby? Who on earth would leave their baby in a car? Unattended in this day and age, the thought makes me shiver! Babies can die in hot cars just the same as dogs, and if the parent has gone into any place and left the infant unattended I'm sorry to say, but that is bad parentage. Where is the care in that?

8. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

This is horrible stuff. However, I don't think the mother should be punished much if the child dies. The loss of the child is enough. As for situations where the baby lives, the punishment also shouldn't be severe, but the mother should be separated from the child until it gets older.

9. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

Well, she can't be exempt from the law. Leaving your baby in the car is crazy and therefore she should probably plead insanity. There isn't 100% proof she didn't intend to kill the baby either. All of those details must be researched before coming to a conclusion and sentence. This isn't just a small deal. It needs to be thoroughly researched.

10. janemarie

janemarie Member

The parent who left the child should be held responsible. Surely it is manslaughter? If someone were to accidently hit someone with a car and kill them, they would be held responsible and it considered as manslaughter so why not the same when an innocent child is killed too. Manslaughter is manslaughter. It is taking someone's life when you didn't mean to. Even that car driver will carry that guilt for the rest of his life but it is still not considered that he a has paid enough. A parent should be responsible and surely everyone knows not to leave a small living being in a hot car.

11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Yeah it is horrible indeed. I would never ever think about leaving a human being inside a car whether in a cold or hot weather. I don't know what these parents are thinking as to why do they do such a foolish thing. I've seen a lot of similar videos where the parents didn't even looked shocked or scared of what might happen with their toddlers or kids when they left them in their car. There are a lot of people who struggle conceiving and yet there's these people who just don't give importance to their offsprings :(

12. tony

tony Active Member

Why can't some people apply simple basic sciences they did at primary schools when going about their everyday activities. Is she not suppose to know that leaving the child inside the car with no air or air condition on can cause serious or fatal problem to the child, can she survive under such a condition. Was she trying to appear as a girl inside the mall. If any mishap, in addition she should be punished accordingly.