Toddlers and Thumb-sucking

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by tallulah, Oct 5, 2017.

1. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

At what age is still acceptable for a toddler or bigger child? I don't have any personal experiences with this but I have seen some big kids still thumb-sucking (I mean kids as old as ten). Do you have any experience with this? How did you stop your child and at what age?

2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

My nephew sucked his thumb for some years and my sister worried about it having an effect on his teeth as it is said they can be pushed outwards by constant thumbsucking. He stopped at around 5 when he started school but I know a woman who sucked hers right into teenage years. She is married with children now and I can't imagine she does it these days. She never did it in public, just at home, but I know her mother was worried about it. I guess it's just a comfort thing.

tallulah likes this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I remember the children in our ancestral home - they are my nephews and nieces - who stopped sucking their thumbs at age 2 or 3. After that age, we consider it not normal anymore. Thumb -sucking is unhealthy for the child becomes exposed to dirt and sickness is common for children who thumb-suck. So when the child is already 3 and still thumb-sucking, the parents have to do something like making an agreement that if the child will not thumb-suck then he gets a rewards.

tallulah likes this.
  4. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

First it's called oral stage of kids, and at this stage their first place of interaction with anything that comes into their hands is straight into their mouth. Some kids or toddlers would do this for a long period of time if the parents don't work towards getting him or her to stop it.

I happened to have seen a child who was still sucking her fingers and not just the thumbs at the age of 6. It was truly disgusting and I simply her parents to blame. It all depends on the parents interference to determine how long a kid would suck his or her thumb.

tallulah likes this.
  5. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

This reminds me of the awful smelling and tasting stuff that we tried on one of our kids, to which he just began using the other thumb and then it wear out and it was a mess. It was a phase, though, so hopefully this is the case the majority of the time.

tallulah likes this.
  6. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I read somewhere that children who were not breastfed are most likely to thumb-suck. Basically, children who were either introduced to bottles early or were not breastfed at all. I wonder if this is truly the case. But I don't think parents are to blame entirely if the child keeps thumb-sucking till after 6 years. They could have tried all they could but nothing worked.

7. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

It is not just a theory tallulah.Kids who were weaned too early happen to have a longer "oral stage" as "Heatman" has so craftily put it.Some mothers don't joke with the weaning process,they pump the brakes completely and don't bother to get the children the bottles with nipples for taking milk.The kids have to improvise.They drink milk from a cup and spend the rest of the day sucking their thumbs.I have two friends who went through similar situations.One of them sucked his thumb till the second year of High School and the other had a situation a little bit different from this.Instead of his thumb,he sucked his lip the whole of High School period.I don't know if he stopped though,it's been years since High School.

8. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

For very little kids, it is normal to suck at thumbs but a bit worrisome if it becomes a habit that stays even when they grow up. I think that this habit of sucking thumb can be removed by distracting the kids when they begin sucking their thumbs. Most little kids suck them when they are feeling bored and have nothing to do or feeling stressed for some reason. We could start talking to them, read stories, show pictures or play a game etc. when they start that. Slowly and slowly, by getting them to do stuff, this habit can be removed.