Too close a gap between pregnancies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Alexandoy, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

My cousin's first 2 sons have a gap of only 10 months in age which means the second pregnancy came too soon. One doctor said that there should be a gap of at least 2 years to give the mother's body time to recuperate from the pregnancy. Does it mean the couple should be practicing birth control to be assured of a comfortable gap between pregnancies?

2. Hova

Hova Member

Uuhm, definitely. I mean a 10-month-gap seems way too soon in my opinion. Taking care of a toddler while also preparing for another one sounds really exhausting.
    I'm with you @Alexandoy on this one. Birth control should definitely be an option, to at least give the mother as you said, "time to recuperate."

I hear there are contraceptives that last for years after you take them. I'm not really sure which is the best, but I'm sure talking to a physician, will help in choosing the right one.

3. tyche

tyche Active Member

Of course, contraceptives or abstinence is the way to go to be assured of a good and ideal gap when the mother wants to get pregnant. I also don't like it if the gap is way to small among siblings.

4. Hova

Hova Member

In some cultures women don't have a say when it comes to such matters even though they are the ones getting pregnant. I once saw a mother with like 5 kids, all very young. You couldn't even tell who is the oldest and who is the youngest because they were all the same size. The worst part is they were not attending school, so the mother has to handle all of them herself. It seemed really exhausting.