Toys

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Gad, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Gad

Gad New Member

When I was a toddler, I used to be bought many toys. I would enjoy playing with them for a few days then I would crush them. I have seen the same with my small sister. She cries for toys whenever we are doing shopping which she gets. She is the last born so she literally gets everything. What amuses me is that her toys do not last a week. I think that at this young age, a toddler is trying to explore. They want to know what happens when you press certain buttons.

2. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Yep, it's a real dilemma. Toddlers don't maintain interest with a lot of things for long and when they want something, they always want it now.

It's one of the reasons I'm such a fan of toy swaps with other parents. What's old and no longer wanted by one child is completely new and exciting for another. Both children get new toys and parents don't have to spend a thing for them!

kaka135 likes this.
  3. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

Toddlers can get bored with toys so quickly. I found taking a few toys he had gone off and wasn't using any more out of the toybox and putting them in a cupboard where he couldn't see them worked. When he wanted something new to play with a few weeks later I got them back out, and at his age they were suddenly new and exciting again.

Now I need to work on making him take better care of them!

4. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

This is what I actually notice from our 4-year old daughter. She is always craving for more toys every time I bring her alone to the mall. She always goes home with a new toy of her own choice. She plays it. She also shares it to her friends. A week or or so, she wants another toy to own. I tell her that she has already many toys to select and play. But she insists to get a new one. I have no choice but to explain to her that her toys are like her who needs to be taken care of, needs to be maintain so that they could be nice and beautiful. And she believes me.

5. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Toy swap sound like a good idea. I have only done book swap, but not toys.

I have heard many parents told me about this. I have not really notice it from my children. Though they do not play with all the toys, all the time, even my 8 year old boy is still playing some toys since he was born. They always find new ways of playing certain toys. Perhaps I seldom buy toys for them. I usually just make simple toys for them by knitting, crocheting or sewing, or they make the toys themselves. Hence they can always find endless ways to play with such toys. I have also noticed that toddlers enjoy playing things already in the house, so they don't actually need any toys. :)

Miches likes this.
  6. tyche

tyche Active Member

I guess that's ok if the child's parents can afford to buy him many kinds of toys, but if they can't then that becomes a problem. Maybe they can try to sell their kids old 2nd hand toys if they still look presentable online and buy the money that they get for a new one.

7. Miches

Miches Active Member

The same thing's true with my son. He's quite creative and would find uses for what other people may call trash. He spends hours gluing small boxes together to create a doll house. He prefers to draw than play with regular toys. He would draw human figures, cut them out, and make a small standee out of the cut out figures. I'd try to buy him toys that his cousins enjoy hoping he would like them too but there are only a few toys that he cared about.

kaka135 likes this.
  8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Toddlers consume toys due to destruction. That's why I had posted in another thread that giving a tablet or a phone to a toddler for playing can result in damaging the gadget. When we were young, my parents would buy us the cheapest toys in the market. Usually, they are the improvised cart made of bottle caps or the small kite that doesn't fly. When we are in school age, that's the time they buy us real toys that are not cheap anymore.

9. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

That's really good! How old is your son now? I really think kids don't really need "toys" but they can always create toys by themselves. They are always creative and they are good at building their own toys too. I have a collection of "trash" at home, just for my kids in case they want to build something on their own. Cardboard boxes are great tools! :D

10. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Kids will turn anything into a toy if they can think of a way to. I can still hear my dad yelling "hey that's not a toy" whenever someone touched one of the nice things in the house. They make some great products these days, but sometimes all you need is the bare minimum and let the imagination of the child do the rest, which is great to see.

11. Mika

Mika Active Member

Everything new interests kids and they want to have it. I know a boy of 6 who is hard to stop whenever in a shopping center or a mall especially when in or around toys section. He wants to buy everything that interests him and does not move an inch unless he gets it. I have found a way to take him out of the sight of toy shops by telling him that I know a better place that sells better toys. Once he is off that particular place I show him a closed shop and say 'oh the shop is closed so we shall have to come again tomorrow'. I can sense his disappointment but that's how I manage things if I do not want to buy more toys on a particular day.

12. johnny666

johnny666 New Member

Well, I never had much toys when I was a toddler. Back then, I always wanted to possess a pellet gun or a water gun but when I get mad, I am just going to annoy everyone on my surroundings and sometimes shoot them with my toy gun. I do agree that toddler age is the hardest era of being a child. So many uncontrollable emotions and inevitable to suffer Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in that condition.