Wanting a baby boy

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Alexandoy, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

In our country, most husbands prefer a boy for their first born. It is part of the culture but the deeper reason is that the son is an extension of the father. When my wife got pregnant, I was wishing for a boy. That was the time when there was no ultrasound yet so we got to know of the gender only when the baby was born. And it was a girl. I admit that I was disappointed and it took days before I had come to terms that my first born was a girl. Do you wish for a son or a daughter?

2. Mika

Mika Active Member

I agree with you @Alexandoy that most Asian want a boy as their first child but in our case we wanted a girl as our first child and that's what we had. I personally think that a girl as the first child in a family is always an asset as she behaves better than boys and also helps keep control over other children in family born after her. I have only one child and she is a girl and I am proud of her.

3. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I don't discriminate over genders nor do I have a craving for a particular gender when it comes to children.

I am totally aware of the law of probability and so nothing bothers me. Besides, a healthy child is all a parent would want.

4. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

We didn't care about gender, we just wanted the child to be healthy. My mother in law tried to resort to threatening me that if I had a girl we'd have to have her adopted out and try again. I was extremely blunt in breaking it to her that if it was a girl, she'd have to blame her son, and my husband was very blunt in telling her that after a comment like that the gender wouldn't matter because she wouldn't be seeing the child anyway.

5. tony

tony Active Member

Those it really matter again whether the child is a boy or a girl in this time and age. In as much as I may be drawn to a particular sex at first I really don't think it's any big deal these days on the sex of your child what matters is how you bring the child up to become a very important person in the society.

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

My hubby wants our first born to be a boy as well. He wants our eldest to be a boy not because of culture or tradition but because he wants our eldest to take care and protect his younger siblings, and it would be nice if it's a boy. Well I get his point, but I want it to be a girl so I could have a mini-me LOL :D But it doesn't matter as long as our baby is healthy :)

7. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I didn't know most Asians want baby boy as their first child, I thought this happens to some Chinese only. As for my family, we do not really mind whether it's a boy or a girl, most importantly the baby is healthy and we are happy. Many said we are lucky, as my first child is a boy, and second is a girl, and now I have another baby boy too. I just think no matter it's a boy or a girl, we just love each of them. :)

8. Mika

Mika Active Member

And I thought that Chinese government has allowed its citizens to have a second child against their previous law that did not allow them to have a second child just to let them have a boy LOL. However, it's true that in Indian subcontinent a male child was always the first choice as they thought that their family is run by the male members only. You might or might not be aware of the fact that in our part of the world the girl belongs to OTHER family after her marriage.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I'm sure that if we are being honest, most of us, both mothers and fathers, will have a preference as to what gender our child is going to be and especially a first born, but we can't discriminate obviously. As long as our child is healthy, that's all we can hope for. Me and my partner have a daughter and a son, so in a way we have been lucky as we both wanted one of each, but if that didn't happen then we wouldn't have loved and cared for them any less, I know that for a fact.

James McAllister likes this.
  10. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

I think @pwarbi summed up my own personal beliefs perfectly.

I think it's okay to have a preference for either a boy or a girl. You don't have to feel bad for it. I know I have one. Just as I know I wouldn't love my child any less if they ended up to be the other gender. Most parents (I'd hope) are the same way.

pwarbi likes this.
  11. Miches

Miches Active Member

I would have to admit that I do have a preference for a boy as my first child, but I would have been as happy if my child had been a girl. Many married women in my country (at least in the past generation) feel that it is their duty to have a male child because he is the one who's going to carry on the husband's family name. My own parents luckily had their boy child on their third try and they would have stopped at that. Some parents in their generation had to have more than five tries. With the present generation, with the rising cost of living and all, I think that this attitude is gradually changing and many will prefer to have two children at the most regardless of their gender.

12. Mika

Mika Active Member

I wish you knew Asian especially people from Indian subcontinent! They think boys are earning while the girls make them a loser. In fact, ultrasound for determining sex-test is not allowed as the life of girls in womb is at a risk. You would be surprised to note that in rural areas of some parts of the world newly born or unborn girls are killed just because parents do not want them. It's the main reason of bad average of male-female ratio in Asia and Africa.

13. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Aw, that is just terrible. :emoji_worried: It's amazing the cultural differences for something like this, here in the U.S. when people have a preference it's usually for a much.. lighter reason to say the least. In fact, many people here actually prefer girls, and girls are adopted more quickly than boys are generally.

I suppose what I meant was that it's okay to feel the way you do about certain things. At the same time, part of being a parent in my opinion is being able to love and accept your children for who they are, no matter what, including their gender.

14. Trixen

Trixen New Member

I would like to have a son as my eldest since I don't have a big brother. It would be nice if the eldest is a boy and take care of his siblings. My husband wants a daughter because he got separated from his mother when he was young and he's an only child. He grew up without a mom. Anyway, those are only preferences. I would gladly accept and love either gender.

15. remnant

remnant Member

The gender of the lie is determined by the make parent. Recent scientific breakthroughs have made it possible to choose the babies' gender through embryonic manipulation of genes. Personally, I would advocate natural methods like nutrition.

16. Zero

Zero Member

That it quite difficult to believe, i would not care one bit about gender of my child as long as he /she is healthy then that's all that matters.

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

Honestly, I've never had a preference. Whatever God decided to send me would be great.

I think being a father is a gift (by the way, an amazing one! :cool:), be a father of a boy or a father of a girl. I'm prettu sure that my joy, love, dedication, care and satisfaction would be the same.

For my luck, a girl came and I'm very happy with her. :)

18. tyche

tyche Active Member

Well I guess it depends on the parents. I know my parents were never really finicky with regards to the sex of their kids. They didn't even plan how many kids to have, they just went for it and if it bore fruit, then they will welcome it with open arms, as I was told. They eventually had 2 kids, 1 boy and 1 girl.

19. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Wow! So many ideas about gender preferences. Well, I guess I'm one of those who do not have any preferences. I just want them to be healthy babies. I do admit though that after having three boys in a row, I kind of wished for a girl, and I was given not just one but two.

20. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

I think parents should appreciate any gender that is born.The child being born healthy and safely is a reason to be thankful and happy that's what you shuould majorly think on.whether the child is born boy or girl contrary to your expectations you should still love the child.

21. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I have the same feeling as a father I prefer my first born as a boy. But my wife has given her side that would be most welcomed, but either boy or girl we should be happy about it.

And I do agree with my wife but luckily our first born was a healthy boy. And of course, we are happy about it and we are so much grateful with God.