What is the right age to leave a kid in the car when shopping?

Discussion in 'Kids' started by Jason, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Member

I have been making some quick stops today in the supermarkets to pick a few items. Supplies for the corona virus lockdown. But I dont feel good when I leave my 6 year old daughter in the car.

But then again with the spread of coronavirus I dont want to expose her so much to the outside. Is there an appropriate age to leave a kid in the vehicle?

And with the Covid19 scare and am home alone with her, how do you handle such?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

My personal take on the issue is 12 years old for a child that you can leave in the car while you attend to something for a few minutes. But if you leave the child for more than 5 minutes, I guess it is not right. Now, with the present issue of the covid-19 then I guess you have a point in leaving the child in the car momentarily but then again, it should only be for a short time.

3. doursay

doursay Member

Please don't leave your 6 year child in a car. They can't fend for themselves should something happen. The CDC is now saying that wearing a face mask is a good idea. You can fashion one out of a bandanna or other cloth if you have to. Just keep your distance from everyone else, go at a time when you know not a lot of people will be there and buy as much as you can of whatever you buy so you don't have to go as often.

Things have changed. We have to change with it.

4. Jason

Jason Member

Well said guys. Its really a Catch22 situation. It also feels bad to myself. But sometimes you have no choice. I have fashioned some pink face masksfor her. She loves them.

5. tyche

tyche Active Member

I guess the only thing that you could do is to just leave her at home with someone to watch over her, since leaving a child unattended inside a car can be quite risky.

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Member

Sometimes you lack a nanny or someone to take of the baby at home. Thus you are forced to go with him/her to the shop. Especially those quick refrigerator refill errands. But I agree with you, it has never felt good to leave her at the car alone.

Alexandoy likes this.
  7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

That is our advantage here that we always hire a nanny especially when parents are both working. Sometimes the grandparents would be the nanny. Even with grade school age, children here are not supposed to be left alone especially in the car. Something might happen like the child may be kidnapped.

8. tyche

tyche Active Member

If the mom can't afford a nanny, then she can just simply leave the child to a trusted relative so that he or she can babysit the kid and of course, they won't have to pay at all.

9. Mika

Mika Active Member

As per the rules you cannot leave any kids under 12 in your home or car unless an adult is there to supervise their activities.I don't think a kid can harm themselves and others by accidentally trying the transmission of the car. The same is possible if one leaves a kid alone in home.

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Member

Sure this workable.

Certainly from 13+ it is safe, since the kid can differentiate what is good and what is bad to touch from previous experiences