What Is Your Style?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by doursay, May 23, 2020.

1. doursay

doursay Member

There are 4 different parenting styles: Authoritarian, Authoritative, Permissive and Uninvolved.

What is your style and why do you think that is? Are you your parents when it comes to raising your child? I think we all have done something and automatically thought "Oh man, I've turned into my father" (or mother), but do you find that that is the best way to go about it? Or are you so adamant at not repeating what you see as their mistakes that you will go out of way to find a different style?

I was borderline Authoritative/Permissive. I let more things slide than my parents did, but I put my foot down where they did when I thought I should. Overall they did a good job, but times have changed and I believe that parenting styles need to change a bit to accommodate for those changes.

What are your thoughts?

2. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

As a parent I do possess those 4 types of parenting depending on the situation.

Sometimes I am permissive for I want my kids be happy. Sometimes I am uninvolved for I want them to let them stand.

Authoritative for I want my decision to be followed when I impose a discipline to erring child and authoritarian for they're still young what I have had should be respected and obeyed.

3. tyche

tyche Active Member

That's a nice observation. I think to be a good parent you have to have those traits, all 4 of them so that you can be a good parent, and there will be a nice balance in raising a child.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I don't know if my style would fall into any of the categories above. I always prefer diplomacy like being friends with the child. Even with the children in our neighborhood, they are close to me because I treat them like adults which means I give them respect even if they are toddlers. It is not easy to be friends with your child but it is the easiest for me.