What is your take on piercing babies' ears?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Jason, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Member

Piercing babies' ears gives me cold chills. :mad:. I am not convinced that it's a good thing. Although those who do it defend it saying that she will not feel much pain and that she will heal early and faster.

Yes, there is some truth in that argument. But honestly, how do you withstand the crying baby, who doesn't even know what is hurting? And then again, you are not supposed to use pain killers on the baby, I guess. This means hours of pain for the poor little baby, who has no defense.

Why don't you just wait for here to reach of age and do it herself? I am sure that's what happened for most of us, baby boomers. She may not like the idea of having a pierced ear. Or perhaps she would prefer a different position for the hole that the one you did on her behalf.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I don't remember my daughter crying out loud when she got the pierce on her ears. My wife was a nurse and she said that the piercing is painless - I think the earrings were used to pierce and it stays in the ear for a time since they are earrings already. Maybe it is already advanced when it comes to that part since the adults are piercing not only their ears but even their nose and other parts of the face.

Jason likes this.
  3. Hova

Hova Member

My niece got her ears pierced when she was about 5 months old and it only hurt for like a minute. Although, I'm with @Jason when it comes to the part about "choice". I wish most parents would let their children make these kinds of decisions when they are old enough. Taking away the right to make such an important choice, is not only immoral, but also uninformed.

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Member

Then that have been done with utmost care so as not hurt her. And the fact that it was done by a nurse may have helped greatly.

At least one person on my side. I have been called a backward person by my wife and her friends for thinking that piercing hurts. Now I usually just keep my opinions to myself.

5. Hova

Hova Member

I'm glad my parents did not take that choice from us so we all got to make our own decisions. I got my ears pierced in high school, which was a really fun experience.

Where I'm from, we have over 45 tribes, which means we have over 45 traditions. There are some tribes that pierce their kids ears when they are just a few days old, because of cultural reasons. I just felt like I should throw that out there.

6. tyche

tyche Active Member

I'm a girl, ao I prefer being pierced as an infant so that I will feel no pain at all, and it already happened when I was a baby. So the "convenience" of having a pierced ear is already there.

Alexandoy likes this.
  7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

That was also what my daughter said when she had the mind to know about the piercing of the ear. If she would be pierced at age 5 then that would be painful for her although her mother still insisted that the piercing is painless. Anyway, I believe that the piercing now may be much improved.

8. Hova

Hova Member

Nowadays, I see a lot of amazing piercing parlours popping up in every corner. It seems like the trend has caught up since people are fusing it with the tattoo business. Although, there are some really shady ones which can lead to infections, so it would be wise to check online reviews or ask around before committing.

9. doursay

doursay New Member

I think parents do this for their own satisfaction more then the child's. I believe that when you have a child, it's not about you anymore, it's about the child and what is in their best interest 24/7 around the clock. The child doesn't understand what's going on as the piercing is happening, and they sure don't understand the vanity concept behind an earring.

To each their own obviously, but I would wait until the child understands what's going on before I put them in a situation like that.

Jason likes this.
  10. Hova

Hova Member

I agree. Most parents do it so that they can show off to their friends.