What you say about washable Diapers?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by naruto100, Jul 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Honestly saying I recently came to know about their existence. Lol. Actually I have seen them on some online shopping site first time recently.

But I wonder how they work? Is anyone having experience of the same (I mean for their baby)? Are they stand that long compare to normal Diaper? And when we have to wash them?

Sorry for too many questions, as this thing is totally new for me? If I get positive review about them then I won't mind ordering them. Thanks in advance.

2. janemarie

janemarie Member

Washable nappies (as we call them in the UK) are a great way to save money. You only need two dozen. When they are finished you throw them into a bucket of water to rinse off the excess. Then you just put them in your washing machine. It is best to add a fabric conditioner to the wash to make them nice and soft for your baby to wear.

The rest is the same for the baby. Make sure that he is washed and dried properly and use talcum powder to prevent nappy rash. Much much cheaper than the ready made ones.

Make the square towelling into a triangle with the pointed end down towards you. Then place your baby on top. Bring the two sides over your baby's tum and the triangle bit up between their legs. Then fasten it with a nice big safety pin and Whallah! You have your reusable nappy.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

When I first had my children that's all there were! They were terry towelling nappies that we washed over and over again and were covered in plastic pants to keep the wet in!

Disposable nappies came in towards the end of their baby years and I used them from then on. I have a feeling you are talking about something more recent though. Are these more recent products?

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

Really? o_O People are becoming more and more creative, but I can't even consider this idea to be something feasible (this seems to me to be very unhygienic :confused:). I would never buy something like that. But I'm sure that if that were to come to the market, there would be no consumers to buy them.

5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I grew up with cloth diaper, that diaper that you wash and re-use. Aside from the lesser cost compared to the disposable diapers of this modern times, cloth diapers are more confortable for the baby. However, for busy parents, I understand that the disposable diaper is the only option since there is no more time to wash the diaper.

6. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Disposable diapers are only seen these days. We grew up using washable diapers. I cannot say they were diapers but nappies made from muslin cloth soft to the touch. There were dozens of them. They were always white in colour so that care was taken to see them clean.

7. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Okay, so it is kind of nappy only. I thought it also work kind of disposable diapers. I mean keep baby dry even after peeing. I thought it work like this way. But as I got responses I guess its just normal nappy which we need to change when it get wet. So we don't keep it on like normal diaper work.

8. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

Since I was the eldest son, I grew up wearing these diapers. Aside from being a lot cheaper than using disposable ones, the baby would always be clean if you would be using these washable diapers. Unlike using disposable diapers where you won't change the diaper unless it is quite full. When using washable diapers, once the baby urinates, the cloth would get wet so you won't have any other choice but to change the diaper. I think it's much better than using disposables.

Elsa, iamawriter and naruto100 like this.
  9. tony

tony Active Member

For economic purposes I may subscribe to using washable diapers where after taking off the nappies from the child the excreta is removed, the nappies are then washed and put in good condition for a reuse. The fact remains if the money is available to get the disposable that's the type I'll like use and recommend. I think that the disposable give a more hygienic care.

10. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Yes if we think that way it is true that baby will get clean always unlike disposal diapers where we only remove it when they get full or after certain time. But if we are travelling with baby then this diaper is the only option. I mean during travelling it is very uncomfortable to keep changing those nappies (washable diapers) . So normally we use disposal diapers when we are travelling or when we are going to someone's home.

11. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

I cannot agree with you more. These napkins are the best for kids as they are changed the moment the baby gets wet rather than keeping that diaper for hours No guarantee that it would not leak and if it did that would result in baby rash. We have all grown up using these napkins and I would still recommend that they are used in this modern world.

12. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

littlewitch66, naruto100 and kaka135 like this.
  13. luri

luri Member

I am using washable diapers (we call nappies here) as well as disposable diapers. Since nappies do not last long, you will have to change once the baby wets it, therefore, I use diaposable diapers when I am going out with baby. I also use diaposable diapers when baby begins to soild nappies too soon (because of cold, upset stomach etc.)
    nappies saves money, but cleaning soiled nappies can bge really frustrating.

14. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I am not sure what washable diapers do you refer to. When we were young, my parents used the washable nappy - it's a big piece of white cloth, like what @janemarie described. I started to use these nappies for my eldest son, but found that it got wet easily and didn't keep my baby dry. Before my second child was born, I found another type of cloth diaper. You can check out the link @James McAllister posted. I just bought a dozen of those cloth diapers, and have been using for my second child and now the third child. These are more absorbent as there are two layers, the outer layer always keeps dry. You can try them out when you go shopping. I did that when I purchased them, that's why I was convinced to buy them. I have never bought disposable diapers after that. It's really much more environmental friendly for using cloth diapers.

It's saving lots of money, imagine using 12 pieces of cloth diapers for two or more children. Of course, I have to wash them very diligently. Besides saving money, I think it helps to protect the baby's skin too, as it's more natural. Some people think cloth diapers can't last for long and they still use disposable diapers at night. I actually just use cloth diapers for the whole day. There were some leakages once in a while, especially for my baby boy, but it was totally fine for my daughter, I am not sure why.

For washing part, I think it'd be better if we rinse them straight after changing. But when my baby was young, I couldn't manage to do so, so I just left them in a bucket and washed them whenever I can. I just rinse them, then just throw inside the washing machine and let it wash for me.

I always recommend my friends to use cloth diapers, but not many like to use them even they already bought them, as they said it's too troublesome to wash. I don't travel much when my baby was young, but when I do, I always carry a plastic bag to keep the used diapers.

If you have more questions, I am happy to answer you. :)

Elsa likes this.
  15. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

@kaka135 Honestly I am just reading all these stuff, I have no personal experience. But do you think that this kind of diaper can be helpful during travelling. Can they be dry for 7 to 8 hours like Disposable diapers? I am okay if we are at home, but if we are travelling or if we are at someone's home then better baby stay dry as it is kind of awkward thing to keep changing the nappy every time baby wet them. That;s why I asked this.

16. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Thanks for the link, it is really informative and answers almost all questions I was having. Just like other things this one too having pros and cons and one should go for it after reading both of them. Thanks again.

17. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

As you can insert several "insert pads" into the cloth diapers, the more inserts you have, the better absorbent it can be. Usually I insert two long pads during night time, and I don't change the diapers for the whole night unless my baby wakes up. It's usually more than 10 hours. It's really different from the nappies that we have been using when we were young, it's much more absorbent.

There might be different types of cloth diapers too, as I have seen the prices can be really different. I am not sure if this will make any difference for the absorption. That's why I think it might be good to test it out before you buy, if possible. Or ask your friends which brand is good.

This is the ones I have been using: Lovely World Cloth Diaper. I think it's a Malaysia brand, but perhaps it gives you an idea how it looks like and how much it costs. It's about USD20 per set (with the cloth diaper and inserts). The start up cost can be very expensive, but you'll really save a lot in long run. I have seen much cheaper cloth diapers, but I am not sure whether the absorption is good. One of my friends did recommend this brand: GroVia

Perhaps you can buy one or two sets and try it at home, see if you like it. By the way, how old is your baby?

naruto100 likes this.
  18. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Thanks for the more information on the same. So we can use the pads for the absorbent. Honestly I have not this information as being father. I guess I have to talk with my wife about this pads, as I don't know what kind of pads we should use for the same. She might be know about it. Yes like this way we can save the problem of absorbent. The link of diaper is good. I guess I have seen such product on online shopping site for here.

19. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

It's also my first time to hear of the diaper you mentioned @kaka135. I will really look for those because I have a younger sister who is still in her prime for having babies, and it would also be useful for my future grandkids :)

I do think cloth diapers/washable nappies are still the best diapers to use when not traveling or going out with a baby because they are really soft and comfortable, and would not give babies rashes. And if the diaper you mentioned is really absorbent, I would prefer it to a disposable diaper when traveling.

20. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I think washable diapers are pretty cool. It reminds me of those fabric diapers that the old people were using a few decades ago and I believe some parents are still using them with their babies. It's just a piece of white fabric that serves as babies diapers and wash them after use and they can use them over and over again since it's just a piece of soft cloth. It's cheaper since you don't have to buy disposable diapers over and over and you'll never run out of one.

However, some parents still choose disposable diapers over these reusable fabric diapers for hygienic purposes.

21. tyche

tyche Active Member

If the parent doesn't mind washing soiled diapers then I guess the washable ones will do. But I think the disposable ones are much more hygienic though, altough it would cost more for the parent.

22. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Yes, I was glad to have a few friends who used only the cloth diapers I mentioned, and they told me they are good enough and we don't even need to buy those disposable diapers for night time or travel. Besides all the advantages you mentioned, I also read that the babies who use cloth diapers/washable nappies are easier to be potty trained.

Hygiene is actually one of the main reasons I switched to use cloth diapers, as I have read that the materials/ingredients used to make disposable diapers are harmful to our skins and they can be quite dirty too. I actually read about the disposable menstrual pads first, then I thought that disposable diapers might be the same, so I went and found out more information about it. As we know what we are using for the cloth diapers, so they are actually more hygienic, though it can be quite disgusting to wash them sometimes. :D

Elsa likes this.
  23. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

[QUOTE="Hygiene is actually one of the main reasons I switched to use cloth diapers, as I have read that the materials/ingredients used to make disposable diapers are harmful to our skins and they can be quite dirty too. I actually read about the disposable menstrual pads first, then I thought that disposable diapers might be the same, so I went and found out more information about it. As we know what we are using for the cloth diapers, so they are actually more hygienic, though it can be quite disgusting to wash them sometimes. :D[/QUOTE]

I've read about that, too. They say that the materials used for diapers and mentrual pads are recycled paper, kind of yucky and unsanitary really. So you're right to use the cloth nappies instead. Yes, it may be quite yucky to wash them at times but less disgusting if you think of recycled materials.

24. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I have come across these washable diapers which have eye-catchy colors and designs and I am weighing out things whether to buy it for my 3 month old or not. I am referring not only to the quality but also the size since my baby grows up so fast he gets bigger sizes of diapers recently.
    I both have experiences in using the traditional white cloth nappies and disposable diapers. Cloth nappies are good but it didn't work well with me since it wets the back of the baby as well as the underlying sheets. However, should washable cloth diapers prevent this problem, I wouldn't mind in investing to some.

25. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I have come across these washable diapers which have eye-catchy colors and designs and I am weighing out things whether to buy it for my 3 month old or not. I am referring not only to the quality but also the size since my baby grows up so fast he gets bigger sizes of diapers recently.
    I both have experiences in using the traditional white cloth nappies and diaposable diapers. Cloth nappies are good but it didn't work well with me since it wets the back of the baby as well as the underlying sheets. However, should washable cloth diapers prevent this problem, I wouldn't mind in investing to some.

26. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Materials used for diapers and menstrual pads are made from recycled paper? Wow..never knew that. Why is this printed on the packaging so consumers are aware of this. First I heard of this. We learn something new every day:).

I prefer disposable diapers to the cloth ones. The convenience of having it handy and ready over weighs every other factor. Personally, laundry is not my favorite chore. If I can have one more item off my list, the better.

27. KloeRinz

KloeRinz Member

Washable diapers feel kind of unsanitary to me. Mainly because it's hard to clean up all the contamination. Well, I guess some can tolerate cleaning that up. I do wonder if they end up clean though. Disposable ones seem so much safer.

28. harijobs

harijobs Member

This is the first time I am hearing about washable diapers but I think it will be difficult to wash thoroughly the soiled diapers. If not washed properly then it will pose some health problems and may cause some infections. So, I think it is better to use disposable ones for safety purposes.

29. ABlessed

ABlessed Member

I used to work at a daycare that had lots of babies and small toddlers in diapers. Parents were required to bring their own diapers for their child/children. Some of the parents brought only cloth, reusable diapers. We (staff) put small plastic underwear on-- on top of the cloth diaper. I think some parents prefer cloth diapers because they can be used over and over, so that a person doesn't have to buy box after box of disposable diapers, which can get expensive very quickly. I think that if a person doesn't mind dealing with the cleanup of cloth diapers, they can be very cost-effective. I would think that the parents who used those cloth diapers would wash them at least twice before re-using them/bringing them back to us at the daycare for their child to use again.

30. Purity Mani

Purity Mani New Member

When we were growing up we used to call them nappies and our parents would wash them but for me I don't like them I have used only disposable I don't find washable hygienic even if the are less expensive