When Do Babies Smile For Real?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Jasmin Cottontail, Nov 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I've seen babies who smile even when they are newborn. And I was wondering why would they smile or what makes them smile. Most of us smile probably because we're happy or something entertained us or we've thought of something that made us smile. What about babies? At what stage do you think they smile for real?

2. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

When they're first born it's mostly just a reflex (babies are born with more than 70 of them!) and the reflex usually goes away after a couple of months.

They start smiling for real at around 1 and a half months, but it can sometimes take up to 3 months or longer depending on the baby.

Of course, the fact that it's a reflex doesn't make the smile any less cute.

tony and TheKnight like this.
  3. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

I've seen a baby laugh when it was less than 1 month old. I would say that they can smile for real at around 1 month. They might even dream about the funny event that occurred which made them laugh thus smiling in their sleep as well. It's tough to figure out what they're thinking but I think that it varies between babies. Some a lot earlier some a lot later.

4. biege

biege New Member

Babies recognizes if the people around them are happy or sad at some point because it's our instinct that makes us feel emotions around us most specially when we're babies. However, when you're born, your eyes are still adjusting to the environment and sometimes we are partially blind but we do however see colors. I remember when I was a baby I can see a lot of figures and even people but color would always be mostly sepia in color. I'm not sure how I was able to remember those details but I definitely remember them.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Yes I've also heard that it's basically just a reflex when a baby smiles right after they were born. I was just wondering how can they be smiling if they aren't aware with their new environment since they've just been out of their mom's tummy so I guess they still don't have any idea what it is outside. In addition, I think newborn babies are half blind as well until they reach a month old, not sure with this though.

Yes they are indeed adorable whenever they smile! :D

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Yes I believe it can be our instinct which will help us distinguish the kind of people around us. I also agree that babies are somewhat half blind if my terms are right since they've just been out and not used to bright environment.

Hahaha :D I find it amusing that you were able to remember these things as a baby wherein most of us can't really remember details as being a kid, particularly as being a baby. I don't even know what I've been doing last year same date.

7. tony

tony Active Member

It pleases me so much to see a new born baby smile, I think that's a good sign that all is well with the baby. I know it may call for some surprise as in what does the little one knows or is the baby conscious of the environment to elicit a smile. That said, thanks for that explanation saying it's just a reflex action, I quite agree with you

8. kamai

kamai Active Member

As I was told and have noticed myself babies tend to feel when there is a happy or sad ambience. We may think that they don't know about feelings in their first days but we must remember that babies were able to hear their mother even when they were in the whom which could have estimulated the happy thought in them. Perhaps hearing them enough while in the whom they already recognize the mother therefore making them smile.

9. Mika

Mika Active Member

You know we have some very interesting stories about newly born smiling babies. They believe that the memories from their previous birth make them smile but the fact is that smiles on babies' face occurs in initial stage age which is not due to any emotional reason. All these smiles are self generated and occur because the baby is drowsy.

10. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

We can only assume why a new born smiles, but never prove the exact reason. It is believed that new born babies, who do not have well developed brain, smile seeing the new world. People who believe in the theory of many life cycles, also say they babies smile remembering their last life. As they grow older, they begin to forget every thing.

11. faith

faith Member

I think that it really depends upon the child in particular, and whichever personality genes they may have inherited. I have seen all kinds of different cases here. Some babies can't stop smiling and being happy, while others only frown and give nasty looks to every single person they see. It all depends, to be honest. Some smile a few weeks after birth, while others after a couple of years or so.....

12. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Man generally is an intelligent being. Man has undergone a series of developmental stages and his intelligence has to develop too. But babies with a normal mind would favorably react to anything that is moving and smiling for the infants is reacting to anything that is bright, moving. Have you not noticed that unattended baby just smiles alone with nothing is entertaining him. It is because his intelligence is functioning well and normally.