When I was a kid our house used to be the most frequented by neighbours' kids

Discussion in 'Kids' started by iamawriter, Feb 12, 2018.

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

We would all wait eagerly for schools to close so that we could all get together and play our usual games. Our house used to be the most frequented as mother was very lenient and in fact enjoyed watching us play. She would also prepare snacks for us.

What memories do you have?

kaka135 likes this.
  2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

Like you, I also had so many friends in the neighborhood who come to our house to play. We have a big property where my father constructed a small basketball court. By the way, I have 3 brothers so you can imagine the group of boys that come to our house. What irks my mother is during the snack time when she has to prepare more snacks to accommodate our friends. Oh well, I really thank my parents for letting us have friends come into our house. Nice memories, indeed.

iamawriter likes this.
  3. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

i can well imagine the pandemonium with 3 boys!! I cannot say my mother was pleased all the time as I have hard her saying that she waits for schools to open. She wanted her silence to do her work in peace but all in all she was a part of us. She always remained young at heart.

4. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

Yes we used to have children round to play although I think my mum preferred it if we were in the garden! We didn't seem to have sleepovers very often then. My granddaughter has been on lots as they seem to be fashionable these days but I don't remember going to play in other children's houses much. Maybe it wasn't very eventful so my mind has forgotten them.

5. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I am pretty sure that my experience was the exact opposite as my parents were always considered the strict ones, but we definitely had another house that was this way. Some families are just more open and welcoming than others I suppose, and it is neither good nor bad in my opinion.

6. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

We had sleep overs specially with a particular family. They would come over and we would spend a couple of nights in their house. Those were great memories specially telling ghost stories and then slowly sleeping with parents in their room (lol) I also went to my God parents where one of her children was in class with me.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  7. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Yes, we also had a free run of our friends' homes and they, ours. We used to often get together during holidays and when we were a bit older, we used to cook ourselves on open fire outdoors. Of course, there used to be one or other adult close by keeping an eye on us and to help should something go wrong, but we had a free hand in all our activities. The food we cooked was usually quite horrible, rice would be uncooked, other vegetables all burned, etc. but it still tasted a lot delicious to us. Those were the good days. :)

8. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I have many happy childhood memories of playing with friends after school:). But a couple of memories that stands out is; every afternoon, I remember eating soft buttered scones or a sandwich with a drink as I waited for my mum to fetch me from aftercare. And I also remember running around the aftercare center with my little friends.

9. ABlessed

ABlessed Member

I have a lot of interesting and happy childhood memories. I didn't have friends over that much, I just played in my front yard, or in the various front yards of where my friends lived in the neighborhood. I did a lot of hanging out in my bedroom, listening to music, watching TV, reading books, and writing when I was a kid. My parents took in foster kids, so there seemed to always be kids to play with inside of our house.

10. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

It's nice to read about your childhood memories.... For me, some of my friends always say I don't really have "childhood time", as I didn't really play much when I was young. I remember when I was still a kindergartener, I got to play with neighbor kids on the road in front of the houses (not much vehicles passing by in those old days). Since I started grade 1, my mum wanted me to stay at home and study hard. So, it looks like my life is just within the walls. :D But it seems like the other children also stayed at home and rarely came out and played too.

Now, my house is more like a playground to the neighbors' kids, as my kids always play in the front yard, so they always invite the neighbor kids to come in and play together with them. I also let the kids play with the water and mess with lots of things in the yard, so perhaps that's why the kids enjoy playing in our yard. (They aren't allowed to do so in their home.) Those kids' parents are okay to let their kids stay in my house for the whole day too. I don't think I am a lenient mom, but I am fine to let the kids play together in my house especially when they are having fun and not fighting. I didn't have these childhood memories when I was young, but I am happy to "experience" it once again when I am a mom. :p

11. Mika

Mika Active Member

You reminded me of our summer holidays we spent in our grandmother house where all my mother's sisters and brother came to spend holidays with their children. Those were really great two months for children and our mother with their siblings. We used to go to nearby gardens, parks, swimming and shopping for small things with money provided by our grand mother in most cases. Now the time has changed. The activities of children have changed from what it was during our childhood.

12. tyche

tyche Active Member

I actually could relate to what you said regarding hanging out at other people's homes when I was a kid, I did that for a while, then I stopped doing it when I became 10 years old.