When your child complains of bullying in school

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Alexandoy, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

One child psychologist in a tv interview advised that when your child complains that he is bullied by a classmate, the first step is to ask what your child plans to do. If the child admits that he didn't know what to do then that's the time you need to act. But if the child has a plan of action then evaluate that plan if it is right or not. In other words, give your child a chance to think about the problem. Don't instantly hand the solution because your child will have a tendency to be dependent on you.

tallulah likes this.
  2. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

That is such a great advice! Bullying is a very serious issue that can affect the child long term even when the child is out of the school system. Parents need to take a step back and allow the child to have a say on how they want to deal with the situation. This helps the child to recognise that they have control and can decide or choose how others treat them. Love it!

3. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

Your approach is very nice and involving the child in decision making is actually very beneficial. My only concern is that as parents, we all have different solutions to the issue of bullying. One parent may argue that the way to handle a bully is to talk to them while others agree that a show of strength will command respect and stop bullying.

4. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

Your approach is very nice and involving the child in decision making is actually very beneficial. My only concern is that as parents, we all have different solutions to the issue of bullying. One parent may argue that the way to handle a bully is to talk to them while others agree that a show of strength will command respect and stop bullying.

5. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

I'm not really sure what can stop bullying. Often the school staff turns a blind eye, mainly because I think they believe it builds character - and even more so, they cannot control students anymore than a warden can control a prison. Anyway, though, I am speaking as someone from a conservative area (in the USA). However, though, my experiences were before the era of school shootings. Nowadays, I think the schools have gotten aggressive, as noted by the anti-bullying posters common (I saw some on that comedy series Vice Principals.) Nonetheless, I suspect anti-bullying propaganda is a joke. :p