Why dо sоmе pаrеnts put thеir nеwbоrn bаbiеs in sеpаrаtе bеdrооms (in а соt)?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by MariaJ, Nov 24, 2016.

1. MariaJ

MariaJ Member

It сеrtаinly gоеs аgаinst mаtеrnаl instinсt. I'vе hаd fivе bаbiеs, аnd thеy аll slеpt with us. Thrоughоut mоst оf thе wоrld bаbiеs slееp with thеir mоthеrs. Thе list оf bеnеfits fоr bоth mоthеr аnd сhild оutwеighs аny pоssiblе bеnеfit оf thе infаnt slееping by itsеlf in аnоthеr rооm; I саn't еvеn think оf а singlе bеnеfit оf suсh аn аbnоrmаl аrrаngеmеnt.
    I bеliеvе mоst Аmеriсаns еngаgе in thе prасtiсе bесаusе оf prоgrаmming thаt tаkеs plасе, соmplеtе with fаulty rеаsоning, suсh аs it bеing suppоsеdly sаfеr, whеn thе оppоsitе is truе еxсеpt in rаrе сirсumstаnсеs whеrе а pаrеnt is druggеd оr hypеrmоbilе in thеir slееp.

2. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

I always wondered this exact thing. I think it mostly has to do with their own selfish comfort or just that they're scared to squash the baby but if that's the case, they can have a crib inside their room. That only leaves the excuse that they care more about their sex life and comfort than a baby's safety. What if the baby needs something and you can't hear them because the baby monitor broke or something? I would be stressed if the baby was in another room alone because they can also be kidnapped. What's the reason? I'd like someone to shine some light on this and explain a valid reason why some would do this.

3. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

I was surprised to hear how uncommon this is outside of the U.S, here many people make a big deal if you co-sleep and an even bigger deal if you co-sleep beyond a relatively early age which doesn't make so much sense to me.

I know the reasons against it aren't always selfish and some parents believe it can promote independence among other benefits. I don't see it being something I'd do though personally, but that's just a personal decision.

I know as far as fearing you'll squish them goes, you can just keep the crib in the room as @TheKnight said or there are even extensions that go up right next to the bed so they can still sleep next to you without running any risk whatsoever of rolling onto them. I know those are particularly good for breastfeeding mothers as their baby is always within arms reach during the night.

4. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I suppose that it is just another little trend or blip that tends to happen every once in while. Actually, now that I think about it I would probably say that it is more often than that, but some of them are good and some of them are not. I am not sure about this one, but my guy is telling me not so much, but you never know.

5. kamai

kamai Active Member

I also think it's about parents selfish needs. My parents always had my brother and I sleep with them even through out our toddler years. I kept this tradition going so I have my baby sleep with us too. There are different ways to avoid squishing our babies and if it's about the sex situation there are also ways without having to leave the child alone. I wouldn't be able sleep thinking of all the dangers my child could be in while being alone, I just don't see no reason at all. If parents think it's to help with their independence they are wrong too since the babies need to be with their mother or at least near them , they are little for so little time.

6. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Oh yeah I understand that for sure I just know not everybody means bad by it. Here in the U.S. it's one of those few parenting debates where no matter what stance you take, the other side is going to go off on you.

As for me I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway because I'd be paranoid something bad would happen when I'm not there, let alone any emotional issues.

7. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I think in US it comes naturally to put the baby in nursery but I have alwats wondered how comfortable would it be for a mother who just had C-section to wake up every 3 hours and move to and fro to feed the baby.

I would constantly be worried about the child tossing and turning or falling off the crib after few months.

8. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

Falling isn't always the issue either. There has been cases where a baby, unfortunately, dies of suffocation by his own saliva or with a pillow or blanket and most of those cases are when the baby is alone. I don't think a baby monitor always catches the sounds needed.