Why is the female often blamed for infertility more than the male?

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by tallulah, Mar 5, 2018.

1. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I am asking because this seems to be the trend. Going through the thread topics under "Trying to conceive", the topics are addressing infertility issues for the female. Why is the male counterpart often left out in these types of discussion? Male infertility is also a factor reason why most couples don't have children today. But the focus seems to be more on the female.

2. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

This is one serious issue in family life and it really annoys me whenever the females are being crucified over infertility as the one responsible for lack of child bearing when the men are equally 50/50 responsible as well.

The fact is that most males always first run and point the accusing fingers to their wives as the cause when they have checked themselves to determine if they are the ones with infertility case. African males are mostly guilty of this act and it's not a proper way to treat their wives.

3. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

I think it is because males are supposed to all macho and very virile and can do no wrong, even in the 21st century. I am very sure that in spite of many couples failing to conceive, not many males out of those couples would even be willing to take fertility tests. It depends on the mindset, but which is changing now.

tallulah likes this.
  4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

Maybe the male species have a way of covering up for that problem. But based on my experience in real life, most of the childless couples that I know have infertility problem with the wife. I understand that being sterile can afflict the wife or the husband. And most of the cases are about female because female infertility have some chance with the fertility pill while an infertile male may have no chance at all.

tallulah likes this.
  5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I think for men it would be a much bigger issue personally. A woman can have fertility treatment to help if she has problems conceiving but it's more difficult to treat if a man has a low sperm count. Perhaps it makes him feel less of a man even though it can't be helped.

It's true that women are often blamed and then find when both parties are tested it is not their fault. It must be very upsetting for both parties to find that one has a problem.

tallulah likes this.
  6. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

It's true what you just said about a man's personality being brought down should it appear he has a low sperm count. Most man are very egocentric and as such it affects them in a really bad way. But I don't really think that first pointing accusing fingers to the wife would solve the problem. Owning up to the issue and getting treatment would make resolving the problem quicker.

7. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Statistically speaking, women experience fertility problems about 22% more frequently than men do. Their ability to conceive also drops much more rapidly as they age, and while men do experience a drop in fertility it is much more gradual.

It's a sad situation for both genders and we should be careful not to project any blame or shame for experiencing this - it's nobody's fault and sadly is just something that affects some people more than others.

Heatman and tallulah like this.
  8. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Member

They say that 1/3 of the infertility cases(statistic-wise) is a problem with the female's reproductive system and another 1/3 is a male problem. Another 1/3 of the problems are with both partners, or the infertility is just unexplained-so overall it's kind of a 3-way split. Sometimes the doctor comes back and tells you, that both partners are healthy-and so there is no explanation for the inability to concieve, so it could really be nobody's fault at times as well.

tallulah likes this.
  9. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I believe that the issue of menopause in women is another factor that affects their fertility when age effects is put up against their male counterpart. Age never does anything to a man, as a man of 70 years can still impregnate a woman. But it's likely impossible for a female of that age to conceive by such time unless of course is like what happened in the Bible with Sarah.

10. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I think women's chances of getting pregnant would begin to go down when they reach the age of 40 although many women gives birth in their late 40's but usually with some medical help. What I'm saying here is there's a clear safe window of getting pregnant of about 20-25 years only or between the age of 16 to about 41. So if you're in your mid 40''s already it could be difficult to get pregnant but it's not impossible.