Would you let your children play dangerous sports?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Jason76, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Some people say American football has too much of a head injury risk. On top of that, some others say that other sports carry massive risk also. Given these stats, would you let your kids play some of these sports, or do you think it's a risk that's worth taking? Some people claim dangerous sports are good for kids, and that the people criticizing the sports are being wimpy and/or too obsessed with safety.

Well, for one thing, we know certain sports like track and field have almost no safety risk involved unless the person has some heart condition, etc. Anyhow, I think children and teenagers should get a doctor's check before getting involved in any sport. Perhaps they also need one before signing up for any physical education class.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Most parents would vehemently say no for their child to engage in dangerous activities much more in sports. We have a family friend who forbid their children to join mountain climbing because of the risks. Personally, I am against dangerous sports not only for children but even for adults. Accidents can happen and when it happens then the regret is too late. There are lots of sports to choose from anyway.

3. Mika

Mika Active Member

Most competitive games have some or the other serious risks but players/parents are ready to take the risk or accept challenges. As far I am concerned if my child has a keen interest in any of these games I will not stop them from participation.

4. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

Certain Sports are more dangerous than others, but I believe each one has certain risks involved. I think the contact sports are the worst, such as Football, Boxing, Wrestling, etc. If my child would have chosen to play Football for example I don't think I would of forbid it, but rather talked to him about all of the dangers involved with playing it.

Sometimes when you forbid your children to do something they want to do it more. Thank goodness he chose to play Baseball, but even that was dangerous, several kids got hit with the ball. :)

5. to7update

to7update Active Member

I am currently injured, and most of my friends who do sports have some sort of injury, and I've heard the expression that sports are bad to our health over and over again. The fact is that we love it. :) So yes, I would allow them, considering it's not an insane sport, football or American football yes, with all due precautions.

6. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Accident will always happen and it will nobody could stop it. In short, we always be careful of what we do, of what we have been to do especially in sports. There are sports which are not prone to accident or danger. I would have my children join with that sports like volleyball, running events, swimming, lawn or table tennis. And there are also sports which are too dangerous like wrestling, boxing, or the sport you have mentioned wherein body contact is unavoidable. I won't let my children join with that sports.

7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I believe most sports have their own risk depending on the person playing. I'm a swimmer and sure there are great risk with that, I played Taekwondo as well when I was in High School and yes you can get serious injuries from there as well, but I love them both :) My dad always supports and encourage me to do sports, any sports that I like and I believe parents should also let their kids join into sports as it will help them not only physically but mentally as well :)

8. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

You're right about getting their body and health checked before joining anything too rough. Some children might have weaker bones than others.

I'd let my kid join, though. I think they would be happier joining something they enjoy and desire than preventing them from the joys of life. It's dangerous to let them join certain sports sometimes but it's also mentally and sometimes physically dangerous to keep them from following and pursuing what they dream of doing. This can cause more than just an injury.

9. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

Accidents are what they are: Accidents. You may know about the potential danger on walking down the road and the chance of being hit by an oncoming vehicle but despite that you don't stop walking or driving, do you?

Likewise every sport has a health risk, and so it shouldn't be a reason to stop a child from pursuing his interest.

10. tony

tony Active Member

The fact is I am not going to allow my kids just go ahead and take part in sports that could predispose them to various forms of injuries I would like play a monitoring role. I'd have to rationalize things before allowing my kids engage in such sports Taekwondo, Judo or other bodily activities. l know they may suffer varying degrees of injuries at the sport but as parent I'd make sure to give necessary motivation and ensure the pairings are fair.

11. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

I think we can't stop kids playing games and almost all games have some degree of danger element in it. But mountain climbing is too risky for a kid but with proper precautionary measures that should not be a worry. But personally I would not allow my kids for things like mountaineering until and unless they are big enough to face extreme challenges.

Even a game like football or cricket could be dangerous for a kid but what is required is proper safety measures in place. Playing games is very important in their personality development. It helps them enhance team spirit, face challenges, fast decision making and above all good socializing skills. So there is no point in preventing them from playing games they love.

Alexandoy likes this.
  12. janemarie

janemarie Member

It depends on how old they are really. I think it would also depend on the fitness level of the child. I wouldn't, for example, allow a handicapped or sick child to do something that was beyond them, but I would encourage them to do a sport that they would be capable of.

It is good, though, to encourage any child to partake in sports of some kind as it helps to build certain skills for their life development.